Old 09-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Registered User

Default N00bie Lawn person.

HI Guys, new to the forum so hello!
thought id introduce myself... MY names Sean and purchased my first house last year... i took on some renovations to the garden then hurt myself in a bike accident and it all seems to have gone very wrong!!

i am back to full health now and would really love a nice green garden again.

ive attached some pictures so you can see and i would appreciate any help.

the garden was half "astro" and half blocks... i ripped both up. removed loads of dirt and rotovated the whole garden, i also laid "pre turf" fertilizer and all seemed to go so well. the grass started lovely, but now it just seems to be so patchy.

the area where my new little pup has been weeing is nice and green so i can only assume the grass may be lacking nutrients? as the wee may be acting as a fertilizer?

anyways. see pictures and let me know
Attached Thumbnails
N00bie Lawn person.-img_0060.jpg   N00bie Lawn person.-img_0098.jpg   N00bie Lawn person.-img_0016.jpg   N00bie Lawn person.-img_5480.jpg   N00bie Lawn person.-img_0069.jpg

N00bie Lawn person.-img_5477.jpg
Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Registered User

couldnt figure out how to edit post, sorry guys.

picture 1) is when turf was laid.

picture 2) ground prep

picture 3) turf taking off beautifully.

picture 4) grass only growing in these areas now (even when lawn deteroiated this was the best growing area) now also destryoed by dog wee.

picture 5, just a before and after of garden

picture 6, slow to no growth of current grass.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 6:27:33 AM UTC-4, SeanL29 wrote:
[...]

|Filename: IMG_0060.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16622|
|Filename: IMG_0098.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16623|
|Filename: IMG_0016.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16624|
|Filename: IMG_5480.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16625|
|Filename: IMG_0069.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16626|
|Filename: IMG_5477.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16627|

SeanL29

It doesn't look patchy to me. I was expecting to see some real trouble.
It looks great. I don't know what kind of fertilizer or how much you
put down earlier, but after about a month I'd put down some starter
fertilizer. That's what they call it here in the US, it's intended
for seeding a new lawn, it has more potash and phosphorus, less nitrogen,
so it promotes root growth better. Here the fertilizer is labeled
N-P-K, eg 30-5-5, the first is the nitrogen. One with 30 as the first
number has 30% nitrogen per pound, it's intended to green it up a lot.
You want one with a lower first number, bigger P/K, eg 18-20-15 or similar.

Give it enough water, but don't over water it either. Probably every
other day, moving to every third day in a few more weeks. Overall it
looks fine to me.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

SeanL29 wrote:
the area where my new little pup has been weeing is nice and green so i
can only assume the grass may be lacking nutrients? as the wee may be
acting as a fertilizer?

train the doggie to wee in the same area all the time
so that it doesn't ruin the rest of the area.

i hope you have a decent summer with plenty of moisture
as that will give the grass a good start. in the future
you may want to do any grass seeding in the later part of
summer or early fall as that lets the grass get well
established without as much competition from weeds.

mow it regularly at the tallest setting you can
tolerate, mulching blades/mowers are the best as that
gives the worms food and they turn grass clippings
back into fertilizer. ignore using most weed killers
or other poisons. fertilizers will come from rain and
repeated cuttings. spot weeding if you really want to
but i go for maintenance free lawn areas so i just mow
it and let the weeds do what they want. the rabbits
around here tend to eat a lot of them out of the grass.

this is all i can think of for now. enjoy and
otherwise good luck.

songbird