Old 29-06-2018, 06:07 PM
Registered User

Default Germinating Grass

I know I left it a bit late but have patched my lawn with grass seed/peat. It's quite sunny but it we only get direct sunlight for around 6 hours a day (if that) so my question is how often should I water. Was thinking of every other day but don't want to over water.

Also, should I put down grass food during germination?
Old 29-06-2018, 09:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 6/29/2018 10:07 AM, funkytwig wrote:
I know I left it a bit late but have patched my lawn with grass
seed/peat. It's quite sunny but it we only get direct sunlight for
around 6 hours a day (if that) so my question is how often should I
water. Was thinking of every other day but don't want to over water.

Also, should I put down grass food during germination?

All you need until it sprouts is to keep it damp. You don't want it to
dry out in the middle of sprouting. When I do this, I try to setup a
fine sprinkler on a timer to run for maybe 5 minutes a few times a day.
Save the heavy watering for after it sprouts and starts sending roots
down into the deep soil. Then you want to decrease the frequency and
increase the amount of water you put on it so the roots grow deeply
looking for water when the surface drys out between waterings.

If the peat layer is sufficient, that would reduce the need for frequent
watering.

Your climate and soil may affect your decisions.

Old 29-06-2018, 09:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

In article , funkytwig.15ac2592
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I know I left it a bit late but have patched my lawn with grass
seed/peat. It's quite sunny but it we only get direct sunlight for
around 6 hours a day (if that) so my question is how often should I
water. Was thinking of every other day but don't want to over water.

Also, should I put down grass food during germination?

If it is very hot, you can water it 2 or 3 times a day. The seed is
only a very small distance under the dirt so the top layer will dry in a
very short time.

You should have a thin layer of straw on it to help keep it moist.

Old 30-06-2018, 03:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

funkytwig wrote:

I know I left it a bit late but have patched my lawn with grass
seed/peat. It's quite sunny but it we only get direct sunlight for
around 6 hours a day (if that) so my question is how often should I
water. Was thinking of every other day but don't want to over water.

wait until cooler temperatures for best results.
seeding grass in the spring/early summer is a very
tough time because it is hard to keep it consistently
moist and there are a lot of weed seeds sprouting
which will give the grass a lot of competition.

Also, should I put down grass food during germination?

no. don't fertilize plants until they are actively
growing. and, well, most of what you put on grass ends
up running off so better to let the rain bring the
fertilizer for you.

mulching mower, set it as high as it will go and still
look ok for you. mow regularly. feed the worms and the
worms will feed the grass.

songbird