Old 11-02-2019, 06:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

Default What kind of pine tree do I have?

Before Christmas, Walmart was closing out some live pine trees, with
decorations included. I bought one and it's been growing well in the
house. It needs a bigger pot, the roots are coming out of the small pot
it came in. That pot was in a plastic cup to hold water. So, of course
the roots are now growing in the water.

The tree is just a little one foot tall one. Has short needles and is
not too wide. I've been keeping it near a window to get some sunlight.

I am not much for house plants, but I have been babying this little
tree. My plan is to plant it in my yard when Spring comes. However, I
live in a Northern (USA) climate where it gets real cold in winter. I am
not sure if this tree will survive in my climate (outdoors).

What gets me, is that nowhere on the package does it say what kind of
pine tree it is. It came from the Netherlands, a company called UNGA.

Is this just a permanent house plant, or can I plant it outdoors when
weather allows?

Does anyone know what kind of trees these are?

I am not planning to re-pot it since Spring is not too far away, (If I
can plant it outdoors).

It looks healthy, and I water it daily, but am I over watering it, if
the cup around the pot is filled halfway up the pot with water? If I
water it less, the roots below the pot will be out of the water and dry
up.

Like I said, I have little experience with house plants, so any advice
is appreciated.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

George wrote:

Before Christmas, Walmart was closing out some live pine trees, with
decorations included. I bought one and it's been growing well in the
house. It needs a bigger pot, the roots are coming out of the small pot
it came in. That pot was in a plastic cup to hold water. So, of course
the roots are now growing in the water.

Like I said, I have little experience with house plants, so any advice
is appreciated.

IMO wrap it with an old rag and keep the rag moist to
keep the roots from drying out but you don't need the plant
sitting in water all the time.

yes, setting it out now is not a good idea. wait until
it gets warmer, but not too late, depends upon the weather
really.

no idea what type of pine tree it might be.

songbird
Old 15-02-2019, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural

On 2/11/2019 9:35 PM, songbird wrote:
George wrote:

Before Christmas, Walmart was closing out some live pine trees, with
decorations included. I bought one and it's been growing well in the
house. It needs a bigger pot, the roots are coming out of the small pot
it came in. That pot was in a plastic cup to hold water. So, of course
the roots are now growing in the water.

Like I said, I have little experience with house plants, so any advice
is appreciated.

IMO wrap it with an old rag and keep the rag moist to
keep the roots from drying out but you don't need the plant
sitting in water all the time.

yes, setting it out now is not a good idea. wait until
it gets warmer, but not too late, depends upon the weather
really.

no idea what type of pine tree it might be.

songbird

Not all pines are desirable for planting around the house. OP should
post a picture with url posted here so we can look at it.
Old 19-04-2019, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 1:32:36 AM UTC-5, George wrote:
[...]

I've seen (and bought) Norfolk Pines before. This sounds like what you have.