GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Non-toxic weed control (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/21665-non-toxic-weed-control.html)

Tony 10-05-2003 04:08 PM

Non-toxic weed control

I just read in the paper that you can use corn gluten to control broadleaf
weeds. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks,
Tony

Jimmy Bundrick 10-05-2003 07:56 PM

Non-toxic weed control

Never heard this before... and as it is sometimes difficult to control some
weeds with chemicals that say they will kill a particular weed, even then it
may take 2-3 apps to completely kill them. So I would say no to corn gluten
as a control to the broad spectrum of Broadleaf weeds you may encounter.

JJ 11-05-2003 01:56 AM

Non-toxic weed control

I haven't tried it myself, but the local Agway here has its price posted on
their big outdoor sign - sounds like it is getting popular.

Don't hold me to it, but I believe it is a pre-emergent control - once the
weeds have started to grow, it doesn't help. You have to put it down early
enough, before the weeds start growing.

There have been discussions about it at
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/lawns/

Peter H 11-05-2003 12:56 PM

Non-toxic weed control

"Tony" teevienATpeoplepcDOTcom wrote in message
I just read in the paper that you can use corn gluten to control broadleaf
weeds. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks,
Tony

It doesn't work.

Peter H

[email protected] 22-05-2003 12:32 AM

Non-toxic weed control

"Jimmy Bundrick" wrote:
Never heard this before... and as it is sometimes difficult to control
some weeds with chemicals that say they will kill a particular weed, even
then it may take 2-3 apps to completely kill them. So I would say no to
corn gluten as a control to the broad spectrum of Broadleaf weeds you may
encounter.

Is that anything like your 2 to 3 grub controls to cure an infestation,
Jimmy?

Still a grassmaster tech?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Hugh Jass 22-05-2003 12:44 AM

Non-toxic weed control

Yes, corn gluten has some "activity" in controlling certain broadleaf
weeks. But as far as "control", I think that's stretching the truth
quite a bit.

Hugh Jass

[email protected] 22-05-2003 01:08 AM

Non-toxic weed control

Hugh Jass wrote:
Yes, corn gluten has some "activity" in controlling certain broadleaf
weeks.

Is that for when weeks seem like months? I need some of that stuff
in the winter. :)

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Jimmy Bundrick 24-05-2003 08:44 PM

Non-toxic weed control

As with all Pest control problems, most Pest control companies do not apply
insecticide at rates capable of killing all pests in the lawn as well as
subsequent reinfestations due to insect life cycle.

As with weeds, are you telling me that you did not find a single weed
present after initial treatment for weeds. And that all weeds can be
controlled by single app of one particular herbicide? There are several
weeds in this part of the country that cannot be controlled by one
herbicide, but needs a couple of apps to totally kill them. We use Trimec,
and Prompt 5L, and these two apps control most weeds.

[email protected] 25-05-2003 12:32 AM

Non-toxic weed control

"Jimmy Bundrick" wrote:
As with all Pest control problems, most Pest control companies do not
apply insecticide at rates capable of killing all pests in the lawn

No Jimmy, we like to keep going back and re-applying the control
product that we only charge once for.

You'd best shut up, and don't use your employers grassmaster sig
file anymore.

You're making your lawncare company look foolish. ( no flame )

I'm 26 years into lawncare, without cutting.

--
GO# 40 and F the french.
http://www.countryoforiginlabeling.com/french.html

Bill Freeman 30-05-2003 10:08 AM

Non-toxic weed control

Nice tag on http://www.countryoforiginlabeling.com/french.html by
the way. Wish everyone looked at it and gave a damn.

[email protected] 30-05-2003 12:32 PM

Non-toxic weed control

"Bill Freeman" wrote:
Nice tag on http://www.countryoforiginlabeling.com/french.html by
the way. Wish everyone looked at it and gave a damn.

Thanks, I've taken it down now after a couple weeks of use.

It does cut to the quick.

Take care.

--
GO# 40