Old 10-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Dan Ahearn

Default Replacing my lawn with tif 419 in DFW

I'm getting ready to replace my existing weed infested mess with tif 419.

My plan is to remove the existing mess and lay in 2 to 4 inches of high
quality topsoil.

Most folks have suggested I hit it with round up that assault with a
rototiller and rake it out. I really want to get a fresh start with this
lawn and get rid of everything (most seems to be weeds). Will there be any
residual effects from the roundup on the new sod?

Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Philip Halverson

"Dan Ahearn" wrote in message news:UPdva.797715$3D1.445747@sccrnsc01...
I'm getting ready to replace my existing weed infested mess with tif 419.

My plan is to remove the existing mess and lay in 2 to 4 inches of high
quality topsoil.

Most folks have suggested I hit it with round up that assault with a
rototiller and rake it out. I really want to get a fresh start with this
lawn and get rid of everything (most seems to be weeds). Will there be any
residual effects from the roundup on the new sod?

Two years ago I replaced my backyard, fescue lawn with t419. Here in
the desert of Las Vegas, hybrid bermuda can save 30% on water over
cool season grasses.

Well, 3 months later the lawn is looking great and all my DIY sweat
seemed worth it. Then I noticed several weeds popping up. Native
bermuda was invading my new lawn!

Long story short: RoundUp once, RoundUp twice, then once again for
good measure. When all is dead, then sod. My tilling, fertilizing
and watering only served to invorate the still dormant (early May)
bermuda.

We've moved so I can only guess how my expensive sod lawn is looking.

YMMV and good luck

Phil

Leveling a bumpy yard/lawn in DFW, Texas PK Lawns 10 14-10-2004 02:39 AM
Help with damaged Tif-Green grass DaViT Lawns 2 29-04-2004 04:09 AM
tif 419 in DFW Dan Ahearn Lawns 1 12-05-2003 02:33 AM
419 Grass Marc Rockne Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
419 Grass Marc Rockne Lawns 0 25-12-2002 12:41 AM