Old 11-05-2003, 04:56 AM
KEVIN M QUINLEY

Default Lawns & Mowers: Bag CuT Grass or Let it Fall?

Which is better for a residential lawn -- a lawn mower that "bags" the cut
grass or one that "mulches" it to return to the lawn itself?

Is there a consensus about which is better -- bag the cut grass or let it
drop back onto the lawn?

Thanks!

--
Kevin M. Quinley

Old 11-05-2003, 06:44 AM
Jim Sullivan

"KEVIN M QUINLEY" wrote in message
Which is better for a residential lawn -- a lawn mower that "bags" the cut
grass or one that "mulches" it to return to the lawn itself?

Is there a consensus about which is better -- bag the cut grass or let it
drop back onto the lawn?

Since the purpose of a mulching mower is to keep the nutrients in the grass
with the lawn, a mulching mower is best, in my humble opinion. Most people
over fertilize their lawns, in search of a bright green. This isn't to say
I don't like a nice green lawn (and I've had these lawns in the past, right
now I'm in a new home and I'm getting the lawn back into shape), but I
dislike spending extra money to cause the grass to grow so I can bag it and
carry it to the curb on Tuesday Night :-).

Personally, I like to have the option to bag when necessary (some of the
heavy spring cuts need to be bagged) and when to mulch (all other times).

--
Jim Sullivan

Old 28-05-2003, 07:20 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

I do both, one week I bag it in my rider mower, the next week I mulch it.
For my first year with a sodded lawn, this worked very well by applying the
nitrogen of the mulched blades, the second year had problems, but I dont
attribute that to the mulching or bagging, just other problems. So i'd say
doe it in an on off patern.

:
: Is there a consensus about which is better -- bag the cut grass or let it
: drop back onto the lawn?
:
: Thanks!
:
: --
: Kevin M. Quinley
:
:

Old 29-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Chet Hayes

Mulching returns nutrients to the soil. The trade off is, the
clippings left behind result in an appearance that is not as perfect
as that from removing the clippings, particularly if tend to let it go
too long. But real good mulchers do an excellent job and you don't
have to empty bags, which can be a real pain.

IF you go the mulching route, make sure you get a good one. I have a
Honda and it has been super. Don't even think about using one of the
add on replacement mulching blades on a regular deck. Without the
proper overall design, they dont work worth a damn.

That reminds me of one other draw back to mulchers. They tend to not
do as good a job on sparse, thin grass areas, leaving it somewhat
roughed up looking. On a nice dense lawn they work fine.

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message news:87947229d1b7e1c1a7c8bcb1d79d9eba@TeraNews.. .
[...]

Electrolux #57695B 3PK Eureka F&G Bag [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2009 03:01 AM
To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 12:10 PM
Buffalo Grass lawns - was: Establishing/nurturing a lawn of St Augustine grass Felix Karpfen Gardening 0 21-03-2004 08:42 PM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 05:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 04:08 PM