GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Transport, storage, and planting of large trees in winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/2213-transport-storage-planting-large-trees-winter.html)

Dave 02-03-2003 01:40 PM

Transport, storage, and planting of large trees in winter

I bought six 10-20 ft. trees at the St. Louis Home show this weekend. They
have about 5ft dia. burlap wrapped root balls.

1) I have to pick them up when the show closes tonight. I live about 35
miles from the show. We will be picking them up with a dump truck and a
flatbed trailer.

The trees have been in the 70 degree convention center for about a week.

Do I need to cover the trees or the root balls for the drive home? The guy I
bought them from said no, but some internet sources I've found said that
trees can get 'freeze dried' in transport during winter.

2) I won't be able to plant them till next week, and due to their size they
will need to be stored outdoors. Do I need to cover the trees or root balls
if they will be stored outdoors for the week. I guess I'm more concerned now
that they have thawed out in the show.

3) what's the procedure for planting trees this size in 32 degree weather?
The seller said dig a 10 ft dia x 5 ft deep hole, put the tree in, backfill
with good topsoil, and mulch. also stake the trees.

Some others that we have asked said the topsoil is unnecessary - just
backfill with the clay/sand stuff they call soil in southwestern Illinois.

Any informed advice would be appreciated.

Dave