Old 13-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Brandi

Default Mums

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to this group and my name is Brandi. I've had a question about mums
for awhile. I have hardy mums in my yard that I planted two years ago.
Last year, they came back twice as big. I don't want them to be any bigger
than that so can I prune them back without hurting the blossoms that bloom
in the Fall? If so, when and how would be the best time to prune? I'm in
Pennsylvania.

Thanks so much in advance!
Brandi

Old 19-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Tim Fischer

"Brandi" wrote in message
Hi Everyone!
I'm new to this group and my name is Brandi. I've had a question about

mums
for awhile. I have hardy mums in my yard that I planted two years ago.
Last year, they came back twice as big. I don't want them to be any

bigger
than that so can I prune them back without hurting the blossoms that bloom
in the Fall? If so, when and how would be the best time to prune? I'm in
Pennsylvania.

Since you didn't get a response, I'll try...

My parents had mums when I grew up there. They never touched them, other
than to weed, and they never got bigger every year, they'd just go dormant
then come back the next year. My guess is your perennials weren't full size
when you planted them, and now they are. They probably won't get any
bigger, if they're the same type I'm familiar with.

On the other hand, mums, being a perrennial, WILL spread and need to be
thinned occasionally. This wasn't a problem when I grew up as they were
part of a flowerbed the length of the house, and there was plenty of
expansion space. If this is the issue, you need to divide them
occasionally. My experience with perennials is that you can divide them
pretty much whenever you feel like it, as long as you water and feed both
old and new plantings religiously after the division. That said, it's best
to divide the plants when they're not actively flowering.

-Tim

Old 19-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Chas Hurst

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
.net...
"Brandi" wrote in message
Hi Everyone!
I'm new to this group and my name is Brandi. I've had a question about

mums
for awhile. I have hardy mums in my yard that I planted two years ago.
Last year, they came back twice as big. I don't want them to be any

bigger
than that so can I prune them back without hurting the blossoms that

bloom
in the Fall? If so, when and how would be the best time to prune? I'm

in
Pennsylvania.

I also live in PA. The local wisdom is prune until July 4. It works for me.

Old 20-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Brandi

I was hoping to get a reply! Thank you both!

Brandi

Old 24-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Shirley Thebaglady

I snip the heads of my Mums twice in the Spring. Before it gets very
warm.

Mine are 5 years old.

Mums MJC North Carolina 0 17-10-2003 06:42 PM
mums Burp Gardening 3 17-10-2003 06:02 AM
Will my mums flower again? Adam Schwartz Gardening 11 29-06-2003 06:44 PM
Mums and marigolds by seeds? [email protected] Gardening 0 30-01-2003 06:19 PM
Pinching Mums Tony United Kingdom 2 05-11-2002 09:54 PM