Old 13-05-2003, 04:32 PM

Default What does "scarify" mean?

I am going to dig up some clumps of tall fescue, then reseed it with a
lawn patch (seeds, foam, etc. all-in-one).

How do I prepare the soil?
Someone said "scarify" it.

Do I need a special tool?

Old 13-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Peter H

wrote in message
I am going to dig up some clumps of tall fescue, then reseed it with a
lawn patch (seeds, foam, etc. all-in-one).

How do I prepare the soil?
Someone said "scarify" it.

Do I need a special tool?

To scarify the soil simply means to you break up the surface to help the
seed establish itself. In your case, since you are seeding patches where
tall fescue was removed so you can safely skip the scarifying.

BTW rather than those lawn patches a bit of triple mix and good quality seed
will do just as well, or perhaps even better.

Peter H

Old 13-05-2003, 05:44 PM

" wrote:
I am going to dig up some clumps of tall fescue, then reseed it with a
lawn patch (seeds, foam, etc. all-in-one).

How do I prepare the soil?
Someone said "scarify" it.

Do I need a special tool?

Just scratch it up with a garden rake,so the seed has a chance to root,
into something other than compacted soil.

ps..you should spray those coarse fescue clumps with round up,before you
remove them.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 13-05-2003, 11:20 PM
[email protected]

" wrote:
On 13 May 2003 16:49:14 GMT, wrote:

ps..you should spray those coarse fescue clumps with round up,before you
remove them.

Thanks, I was wondering about that.
Should I spray beyond the boundary of the clumps themselves, to make
sure I get it all (since I'm reseeding anyway)?

It wouldn't hurt. LESCO sells a product called tracker dye, it turns
your spray blue. Makes it easy to see what you're killing. The blue
goes away quickly from sunlight.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/