Old 14-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Brigitte J.

Default Swimming pool filter/pump question

I hope someone here can help me. I am baffled by my most recent problems.
My pump and filter both worked great last year, but this year it doesn't
seem to do the job as quietly, or as well. The filter seems to be making a
lot of air bubble sounds on the return side. There are air bubbles coming
out the return with the water. Any ideas what might be causing this? What
can I do to eliminate this problem?

TIA,
Brigitte

Old 14-05-2003, 02:56 AM
hawgeye

"Brigitte J." wrote...
I hope someone here can help me. I am baffled by my most recent problems.
My pump and filter both worked great last year, but this year it doesn't
seem to do the job as quietly, or as well. The filter seems to be making

lot of air bubble sounds on the return side. There are air bubbles coming
out the return with the water. Any ideas what might be causing this?

What
can I do to eliminate this problem?

There should be an air release valve on the filter housing. With the pump
running, open the valve until all the air escapes and water starts shooting
out.
You do have the correct water level in the pool, don't you?

Old 14-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Brigitte J.

"hawgeye" wrote in message
.net...
"Brigitte J." wrote...
I hope someone here can help me. I am baffled by my most recent

problems.
My pump and filter both worked great last year, but this year it doesn't
seem to do the job as quietly, or as well. The filter seems to be

making
lot of air bubble sounds on the return side. There are air bubbles

coming
out the return with the water. Any ideas what might be causing this?

What
can I do to eliminate this problem?

There should be an air release valve on the filter housing. With the pump
running, open the valve until all the air escapes and water starts

shooting
out.
You do have the correct water level in the pool, don't you?

Yes, I have the correct water level in the pool, but I don't believe I've
ever seen an 'air release valve' on the filter housing. But I'll check
today to make sure. If there isn't one, is there any other way to do this?
This problem is preventing my automatic pool cleaners from doing a good job.
It's been very windy here and the pool is a mess!

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 14-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Peter H

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
news
I hope someone here can help me. I am baffled by my most recent problems.
My pump and filter both worked great last year, but this year it doesn't
seem to do the job as quietly, or as well. The filter seems to be making
lot of air bubble sounds on the return side. There are air bubbles coming
out the return with the water. Any ideas what might be causing this?

What
can I do to eliminate this problem?

TIA,
Brigitte

Tighten down the clamps on the hoses that feed your pump. At the same time
make sure that the drain plugs on the pump are tight and that the gasket on
the site glass is on properly and the glass is tightened down.

Peter H

Old 14-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Brigitte J.

"hawgeye" wrote in message
.net...
"Brigitte J." wrote...
I hope someone here can help me. I am baffled by my most recent

problems.
My pump and filter both worked great last year, but this year it doesn't
seem to do the job as quietly, or as well. The filter seems to be

making
lot of air bubble sounds on the return side. There are air bubbles

coming
out the return with the water. Any ideas what might be causing this?

What
can I do to eliminate this problem?

There should be an air release valve on the filter housing. With the pump
running, open the valve until all the air escapes and water starts

shooting
out.
You do have the correct water level in the pool, don't you?

No, there is no "air release valve" on the filter housing. Anything else I
can do?

Thanks for the help

Brigitte

Old 14-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Brigitte J.

"Peter H" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
news
[...]

Everything is tightened down, but this morning upon inspecting everything, I
noticed a tiny bit of water trickling from what appears to be a crack in the
side-wall or seam of the area where the basket is on the pump. I'll bet
this is where the air is coming from. I have an old pump around here with a
spare basket/sight piece. If I have all the parts/pieces for that, I'll
remove it from the old pump and put it on the existing one, unless anyone
can think of a way to "patch" this crack. I'd really rather patch it if
possible, then change out that piece. The area I have to work in is not
easy to access and the bending required to get in there really plays havoc
on my back. So any ideas on how to patch that area would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 14-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Scott L.

Brigitte -

What kind of filter do you have? In ground-pool?

I have a Diatamatios Earth filter (DE) - there is a little knob at the top
ot the filer, on the hose that feeds the pool - I have to open that
periodically to let the air out of the system.

Also, on your pump, you probably have a glass viewplate, that opens up, so
you can empty a basket that is in there. Make sure that is sealed good
(not too tight, though - air can get in there, also.

=Scott L.

Old 14-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Peter H

"Brigitte J." wrote in message

"Peter H" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
news
[...]

The best thing to do here would be to remove the pump and inspect it
somewhere where you have the room and light to see what's going on. If the
pump itself is cracked I know of now way to repair it, but perhaps your
local pump guy will know what to do.

Peter H

Old 14-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Richard J Kinch

Brigitte J. writes:

If I have all the parts/pieces for that, I'll
remove it from the old pump and put it on the existing one, unless
anyone can think of a way to "patch" this crack.

Suction-side leaks in plastic parts can often be repaired by dabbing on a
few coats of thick PVC cement (like Oatey Rain-or-Shine) into the crack
while the pump is running. Wait a few minutes between daubs until you
build up enough filler to seal the leak. The suction will draw the cement
into the leak.
Old 14-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Saki

I had a leak in the plastic housing that holds the plastic filter that is
attached to the pump. I used fiberglass kit from home depot to fix it.
Worked for years.

Steve

news

Old 14-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Brad Bruce

"Brigitte J." wrote in
:

"hawgeye" wrote in message
.net...
"Brigitte J." wrote...
[...]

You may have an air leak in the intake hose...

NJBrad