Old 15-05-2003, 01:44 AM
groggey

Default controlling weeds and crabgrass on new seed

I currently live in NH and I am re-seeding my lawn. I seeded last year and
the crab grass won. I lost everything. So this year I am re-seeding and
have applied the Scotts lawn pro starter fert with crab-grass control. But
it seems like it isn't working as the crab grass is coming up already and my
seed is not germinating. Is there any other way to control this? And get
that nice lush golf course lawn

Tim

Old 15-05-2003, 02:20 AM

"groggey" wrote:
I currently live in NH and I am re-seeding my lawn. I seeded last year
and the crab grass won. I lost everything. So this year I am
re-seeding and have applied the Scotts lawn pro starter fert with
crab-grass control. But it seems like it isn't working as the crab grass
is coming up already and my seed is not germinating. Is there any other
way to control this? And get that nice lush golf course lawn

Tim

Tupersan is the only herbicide I'm aware of that allows you to seed, it's
not real effective either.

Are you sure it's crabgrass?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 15-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Peter H

"groggey" wrote in message
I currently live in NH and I am re-seeding my lawn. I seeded last year

and
the crab grass won. I lost everything. So this year I am re-seeding and
have applied the Scotts lawn pro starter fert with crab-grass control.

But
it seems like it isn't working as the crab grass is coming up already and

my
seed is not germinating. Is there any other way to control this? And get
that nice lush golf course lawn

Tim

The crabgrass killer will kill the new grass. If lots of crab got going this
year again I suspect that it's something other than crabgrass. I would
recommend whacking the hole shebang w/ roundup and starting over. Perhaps
sod would be a better option.

Peter H

Old 15-05-2003, 12:20 PM

wrote in message
"groggey" wrote:
I currently live in NH and I am re-seeding my lawn. I seeded last
year and the crab grass won. I lost everything. So this year I am
re-seeding and have applied the Scotts lawn pro starter fert with
crab-grass control. But it seems like it isn't working as the crab

grass
is coming up already and my seed is not germinating. Is there any
other way to control this? And get that nice lush golf course lawn

Tim

Tupersan is the only herbicide I'm aware of that allows you to seed,
it's not real effective either.

Are you sure it's crabgrass?

Sorry,no. It's a pre emergent. There are post emergent controls but you
can't use them on seedlings. (only after four cuttings)

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 17-05-2003, 09:20 PM
William Plummer

Pre-emergent crabgrass preventer forms a "film" over the ground that new
plants can't penetrate. So it should not be used with new seedings! You
can wipe out the crabgrass in the late Summer with liquid crabgrass killer.
It works quite will, but leaves your lawn bare! So, be prepared to plant
new seed about a month after the two or three applications of the crabgrass
killer. September-October is ideal for new grass seed.
Old 30-05-2003, 07:45 PM
Chet Hayes

Yes, and actually the it's crabgrass preventer, not killer. It is a
pre-emergant product, which prevents just about everything from
germinating, including grass seed.

And I agree with Peter, whatever you have is not crabgrass which
germinates in warm weather. I live in NJ and we have zippo crabgrass
here as of now.

It's too late to fix this now, wait for fall which is the best time
for seeding.

"Peter H" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
"groggey" wrote in message
I currently live in NH and I am re-seeding my lawn. I seeded last year

and
the crab grass won. I lost everything. So this year I am re-seeding and
have applied the Scotts lawn pro starter fert with crab-grass control.

But
it seems like it isn't working as the crab grass is coming up already and

my
seed is not germinating. Is there any other way to control this? And get
that nice lush golf course lawn

Tim

The crabgrass killer will kill the new grass. If lots of crab got going this
year again I suspect that it's something other than crabgrass. I would
recommend whacking the hole shebang w/ roundup and starting over. Perhaps
sod would be a better option.

Peter H

Grass seed on a lawn with crabgrass Jack[_22_] Lawns 2 17-09-2009 05:29 PM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Controlling crabgrass Phreak Lawns 8 25-09-2004 02:36 AM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM
seed in fall before spring crabgrass preventer? E Gardener Gardening 5 28-01-2003 12:14 AM