Old 20-05-2003, 03:44 AM
Ray

Default John Deere Lawn Tractor

I've been thinking about purchasing a John Deere Lawn Tractor Model L110
from Lowes and I would like to hear any Pro's and Con's from owners out
there.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Old 20-05-2003, 07:08 AM
j roberts

I recently went to a large John Deere dealer who was adamant that the "L"
seriesof tractor was not really the quality that people had come to expect
being associated with John Deere. He expressed the opinion that Deere had
introduced this series for the sole purpose of competing with the other
low-cost and inferior brands that are common in hardware stores. He pointed
out a number of specific examples, most of which elude me, but the gyst of
which was that the "L" had a whole lot more plastic and sheet metal that the
more traditional models.

That being said, Consumer Reports has the L110 on it's recomended list, and
it is about $900 cheaper than the LTR model that was comparable. The LX was
even more. Good luck!

Old 20-05-2003, 12:32 PM

On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:36:36 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

I've been thinking about purchasing a John Deere Lawn Tractor Model L110
from Lowes and I would like to hear any Pro's and Con's from owners out
there.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Well Ray for me its to early to tell, I purchased the L120 just 3
months ago. I really like it so far, it will be interesting to see how
it holds up. Hopefully, we will see the pros and cons as the season(s)
go on.
The John Deere salesman here in North Central PA spoke highly of the
machine. I was going to buy the LT series and the dealer convinced me
of the L120. Incidently, the local dealer has the setup and all
warranty work for the L series sold in the area Home Depot. I dont
kbow if this is the case nationally or not.
Old 20-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Chip G.

In article , Ray
wrote:

I've been thinking about purchasing a John Deere Lawn Tractor Model L110
from Lowes and I would like to hear any Pro's and Con's from owners out
there.

Like one of the other responders, I went to a full dealer and was told
some interesting stories. What I'd heard was that they had some head
problems on the low-end L-series tractors. After considerable thought
and research I settled on the more expensive sibling LX288. My main
reason was that I have a rough and tumble 3.8 acres for which I wanted
a beefier frame. If I had just your average flat 1 acre, I would have
purchased the L-series from the Home Depot or Lowes.

Good luck,

--
--Chip
remove dots in prefix to fix email address

Old 20-05-2003, 05:20 PM

wrote:

I've been thinking about purchasing a John Deere Lawn Tractor Model L110
from Lowes and I would like to hear any Pro's and Con's from owners out
there.

How much does it cost? How big is your lawn?

I had an LT166 for 3 years, and always regretted it.
I paid about $3200 for the tractor, and another $800 or $900 for the
powerflow/bagger.

For that same price, I realized this year, I could have bought a
decent zero-turn (which I just did...a Dixon 4515).

I never had any quality problems with the Deere, though.
I did basic maintenance; oil changes and filters, tried to keep the
deck clean. It always ran fine. The problem for me was that it was
sooo slooooow. I have 2 acres, so maybe you don't have that problem,
but the long straights took forever.

The other problem was manuevarability. The 166 had (I think) a 15"
turn radius, so at the end of each straight I either had to do a big
loop, or back up (like a 3-point turn).

Sorry for rambling...I know you were asking about quality. The LT166
was built fine. But it is what it is: a small tractor that happens to
have a mower attached, not a dedicated lawnmower in itself.

I went from 4 hours to 1 1/2 hours to mow my lawn.
Not sure what you are looking to spend. I paid $4100 for the Dixon
with a mulching kit installed. I think the less expensive Toro
Timecutter Z's are supposed to be decent.

Old 20-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Tim Fischer

"j roberts" wrote in message
That being said, Consumer Reports has the L110 on it's recomended list,

and
it is about $900 cheaper than the LTR model that was comparable. The LX

was
even more. Good luck!

I wouldn't put much stake in that claim. CR also said Crapsman was one of
the most reliable brands, and traditionally recommends such brands as Yard
Mand and Murray as "Best Buys".

-Tim

Old 20-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Tim Fischer

I've said this many times in this group, but if you're intersted in ZTR
mowers and/or cutting your mowing time into a fraction, check out the SST
Deere series. I have a SST 16 ZTR, and can mow our 8/10 acre with MANY
obstacles including dozens of trees, raised garden and flower beds, a
natural pond, etc. in 30-45 minutes, without hurrying. I used to use a
standard tractor when I was young and had mowing jobs, and it would take at
least triple the time to do this lawn.

I paid about $3800 last year for the SST16. It was CR's top-rated ZTR mower
in the last issue (but see my reservations about CR in another post in this
group).

-Tim

Old 21-05-2003, 10:56 AM
j roberts

After shopping the mowers I bought the Toro Timecutter Z. The cost is about
$2500 (Less than the JD LT series). It is fast. Aside from the obvious
advantages of the zero turn radius, it will actually cut a lawn at about
6mph. Most of the tractor type mowers I looked at would move that fast, but
would not cut at that speed.
My experience has been mixed with it so far. The first one I had delivered
broke 3 times before I mowed the lawn twice. The good folks at the mower
shop, after shaking their heads, replaced it with a brand new one that has
worked flawlessly (knock on wood) for 2 cuttings now. They swear they are
extremely dependable mowers.... We'll see. I asked about this in another
post but got no response, but if anyone else has experience with this Toro
mower, I would be interested in hearing it.

Old 21-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Chip G.

In article , j roberts
wrote:

After shopping the mowers I bought the Toro Timecutter Z. The cost is about
$2500 (Less than the JD LT series). It is fast. Aside from the obvious
advantages of the zero turn radius, it will actually cut a lawn at about
6mph. Most of the tractor type mowers I looked at would move that fast, but
would not cut at that speed

If all you're doing is mowing the lawn, go for it. For some of us,
however, there is more to a lawn tractor than simply cutting grass. I
use mine to tow a roller or a trailer. I also have a bagging system,
which I don't believe you can get on a ZTR mower. Next year I plan on
adding a spreader to my collection. These are not things you can do
with a ZTR. So it depends on your needs. With 3+ acres that need
cutting, faster would have been nicer, but I had to weigh my other
needs.

Old 21-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Tim Fischer

"Chip G." wrote in message
If all you're doing is mowing the lawn, go for it. For some of us,
however, there is more to a lawn tractor than simply cutting grass. I
use mine to tow a roller or a trailer. I also have a bagging system,
which I don't believe you can get on a ZTR mower.

Incorrect. You can do all of these things with the Deere SST series (which
are ZTR).

Next year I plan on
adding a spreader to my collection. These are not things you can do
with a ZTR.

Again incorrect.

You can't get a snowthrower or front blade for an SST. You also can't get a
garden tiller. Pull-behind options are not a problem, though, so everything
you mentioned (including the rear bagger) you can do with the SST.

So it depends on your needs. With 3+ acres that need
cutting, faster would have been nicer, but I had to weigh my other
needs.

Too bad you didn't weigh them correctly! grin

-Tim

Old 21-05-2003, 05:08 PM

On Wed, 21 May 2003 09:27:06 -0400, "Chip G."
wrote:

I also have a bagging system,
which I don't believe you can get on a ZTR mower.

The bagger option for my Dixon is $595.

The Dixon also comes stock with a hitch, which I use to pull a utility
cart, fertilizer spreader, dethatcher, and aerator.

I'm not getting on any kind of "my mower is better than your mower"
thing, so please don't take it that way. Just want to set the record
straight for people who are trying to get information for their
purchase.

When I bought a JD 4 years ago, it was because I hadn't done the
research, and I just assumed that if you have a big yard, you get a
lawn tractor. I also assumed that ZTR mowers were all
commercial-grade at $7000 +.

Now that I know you can get a good ZTR for roughly the same price as a
good lawn tractor, there is absolutely no comparison.

My wife had challenged me: "How can the lawnmower possibly make any
difference in how the lawn looks?" Already, after only one month, my
lawn looks better than it ever has, simply because I am able to mow
different patterns, which I couldn't do before.
Old 21-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
When I bought a JD 4 years ago, it was because I hadn't done the
research, and I just assumed that if you have a big yard, you get a
lawn tractor. I also assumed that ZTR mowers were all
commercial-grade at $7000 +.
Now that I know you can get a good ZTR for roughly the same price as a
good lawn tractor, there is absolutely no comparison.

Agree with you 100%, only I have a JD ZTR. I'm sure the Dixon is great,
too, although I really like the way the Deere uses a standard steering wheel
instead of the levers...

-Tim

Old 22-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Richard

I'm about to buy a tractor and I'd like to know what the maximum speed
that the L110 can cut assuming that the cutting is not slowing the
tractor. (walking speed, fast walk, trot etc..)

I'd also like to know if it is practical to buy a trailer for it.
About how much weight do you think it could pull given ideal traction
and level ground? 100#, 200# etc..

Will the L110 mow in reverse?

Richard
Old 22-05-2003, 12:56 AM

"Chip G." wrote:
In article , j roberts
wrote:

After shopping the mowers I bought the Toro Timecutter Z. The cost is
about $2500 (Less than the JD LT series). It is fast. Aside from the
obvious advantages of the zero turn radius, it will actually cut a lawn
at about 6mph. Most of the tractor type mowers I looked at would move
that fast, but would not cut at that speed

If all you're doing is mowing the lawn, go for it. For some of us,
however, there is more to a lawn tractor than simply cutting grass. I
use mine to tow a roller or a trailer. I also have a bagging system,
which I don't believe you can get on a ZTR mower. Next year I plan on
adding a spreader to my collection. These are not things you can do
with a ZTR. So it depends on your needs. With 3+ acres that need
cutting, faster would have been nicer, but I had to weigh my other
needs.

Buy one with a rear power take off, if you want to use implements,
for the most part. (garden tractor)

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 22-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Ray

Hi, I'm the one that started this thread - We purchased the L110 yesterday
and the top advertised speed is 5.8 mph.
My wife used the L110 today for the first time but I wasn't home, so I can't
vouch if the cutting speed is slower that the traveling speed at full
throttle.

The L110 will cut in reverse even though it is not recommended in the
Opmanual. To do this you have to hold down a switch on the console
momentarily until reverse movement is attained. If this button is not held
down, it will shut down the tractor. This is some kind of safety switch to
make you look behind the tractor before you start traveling in reverse with
the cutting blades engaged.

As far as pulling power I could not find anything in the documentation. The
tractor comes with a 17.5 hp kohler engine, OHV and a pressurised oil system
with a spin on oil filter. I do know that they sell utility carts to pull
behind.

Hope this helps you out.

Ray

m...