Old 20-05-2003, 10:32 PM
RFox

Default What is a Sun Star plant?

Can anyone help me identify this flower?

I picked up a small potted perennial plant
called "Sun Star". It has long sturdy leaves
and a thick stalk about 6" tall where at the
top are clusters of budding flowers.
The flowers are bright orange, have 6 petals,
open about 45 degrees out (not flat) and are
about 1" in diameter.

The tag it came with calls it "Sun Star" with
no latin name and I can't find it anywhere on
the net.

Does anyone know what it is so I can look it up?
Old 31-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Dan

Me too, I bought the Sun Star plant at Walmart and has been looking
for some information about this plant. I live in Sacramento, Ca. I
don't really know what to do with the plant in the winter.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 PM
RFox

I'm in Southern California and I picked it up at Osh.
Maybe it's only a California thing?

I searched all over the Internet. And not knowing much about
gardening, found it difficult to comb through all the
different types of flowering plants.

Did you get a tag and care guide with your plant?
Mine says under "Continuing Care":

"Remove dead flower spikes at base. Indoors: Use well drained
potting mix. In USDA Zones 9 and 10 [I think this is west
coast?] Sun Star can be kept in the garden if protected from
frost. Transplant to garden in sandy loam after bloom in late
spring. When leaves die back, gradually withhold water and
allow plant to dry out. Avoid summer watering. Plants will
grow again with winter rains"

So I guess you keep it dry in the summer and water it
in the winter. I guess it's like an orchid where the
plant totally dies and regrows the following year.

Old 28-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Dan

I think I have the same tag.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Registered User

Location: Sacramento, CA, US

Quote:
Originally posted by RFox
Can anyone help me identify this flower?

I picked up a small potted perennial plant
called "Sun Star". It has long sturdy leaves
and a thick stalk about 6" tall where at the
top are clusters of budding flowers.
The flowers are bright orange, have 6 petals,
open about 45 degrees out (not flat) and are
about 1" in diameter.

The tag it came with calls it "Sun Star" with
no latin name and I can't find it anywhere on
the net.

Does anyone know what it is so I can look it up?

I'm not sure if someone already posted something on this, since I just wandered upon this site the other day after purchasing my own "Sun Star". I finally found it, though! It's called Ornithogalum, in the Liliaceae family. I believe the one referred to here is O. dubium. I hope this helps.
Old 29-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFox View Post
Can anyone help me identify this flower?

I picked up a small potted perennial plant called "Sun Star". .. with no latin name and I can't find it anywhere on the net. Does anyone know what it is so I can look it up?
I have a similar plant and put this together. It may help:
Sun Stars
http://www.billsphotooftheday.com/Sun_Star/
Sun Stars are a perennial bulb a hybrid of a common cut flower called Ornithogalum. It combines the dense floral display and large flowers of Ornithogalum thyrsoides, compact habit of O. multifolium, and intense orange color and short stature of O. dubium."
Care and Feeding:
First of all, they are deciduous bulbs, they will die back and come up again next year. So don’t feel bad that you killed it, you didn't!
The timing depends upon your climate, but in Southern California they bloom in the late winter rain (if you have any) and die back in the summer heat. Further north you will need to dig them up in the winter wherever there is a risk of frost. You can start them inside in the winter and transplant them to the garden in the spring.
In the garden they are supposed to like partial to full sun. A tag says:
"Indoors: Keep potting mix uniformly moist, good drainage. Remove dead flower spikes at base.
Outdoors: USDA Zones 9 and 10, not tolerant of frost. Transplant to garden in sandy loam after spring bloom. Protect from frost. When leaves die back gradually withhold water and allow plant to dry out. Avoid summer watering, plants will grow with winter rain. (or winter watering inside)
Fertilizer: Use a blended household fertilizer at 1/2 recommended rate. Apply in early spring once plant shows new growth."
Can a sun star plant live indoors all year?
Read mo Answers.com - Can a sun star plant live indoors all year
A Sun Star plant grows from a bulb like a Amaryllis, so it has a dormant period. When the Sun Star leaves begin to die back in early summer gradually reduce watering and allow the plant to begin to dry out. You must reach a stage in summer where you do not water the Sun Star at all. The rainy season in Africa begins in October so be sure your bulb is dormant 3 month prior. Do not water the bulb while it is dormant. Between October and November you can wait for it to show growth like a Amaryllis or lightly mist the bulb to induce growth. At this stage the soil should never be wet but slightly moist. Keep in mind the seasons in Africa are the inverse of those in North America so growth beginning in winter for this bulb like the Amaryllis is standard.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered User

Transplant to garden in albino adobe afterwards blossom in late spring. When leaves die back, gradually abstain baptize and allow bulb to dry out. Avoid summer watering. Plants will
Hydroponics Store