Old 24-05-2003, 06:35 AM
Larry

Default Seeking Advice on my Memorial Day Lawnmower Purchase!

BlankHello,
I live out here in Snoqualmie Washington... a 30 minute drive from Seattle
east towards the cascade mountains! As you may already know of Seattle, it
rains alot here!! Even more so of the neighboring "sleepy" rural farm lands
and valleys that sock in the moisture... so much that it can be double the
75 inches annual rainfall that Seattle gets. Heck I don't even have to
water... I mean never... nothin lawn flower anything!!!

Here is my delemna... I live on a .44 acre lot that has grass that grows so
fast that I could easily mow two times a week just to keep up! I first
considererd a "riding lawnmower"... you know the drill here... John Deere,
CrapTsman, Toro etc... I like the Idea of the John Deere L series but not
sure if it fits my whole picture for... YES, I do have some narrower
walkways to mow including the 3 foot strip between the sidewalk and street
not to mention a couple trees and beds!

I would like a riding lawn mower but just think that I will still need to
get a self-propelled one to finish the job.... So, I am leaning towards a
self-propelled at this very moment... I want something beefy with a good
horsepower that has a HUGE bag (well at least the biggest I can get) along
with the biggest deck resonably possible so that I can cut my mowing time
down... And, oh YEA, it would be damn nice to be able to even mow when the
grass is wet or in the least can be done when the morning dew is still
around... say after 9AM so I don't **** off the neighbors!!

I'm considering the new Honda aluminum deck commercial/master series or a
Toro with a 22 inch deck 6 1/2 hp... Don't know what to think of the
electric start feature they have...

What do you think... If anyone is out there that could help me out I would
appreciate it...

I hope you all have a happy safe weekend...

ThANKS
Larry

Old 24-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Larry" wrote in message news:liDza.91731
I would like a riding lawn mower but just think that I will still need to
get a self-propelled one to finish the job.... So, I am leaning towards a
self-propelled at this very moment... I want something beefy with a good
horsepower that has a HUGE bag
I'm considering the new Honda aluminum deck commercial/master series or a
Toro with a 22 inch deck 6 1/2 hp... Don't know what to think of the
electric start feature they have...

If you have trees or gardens to mow around, you will find the self propelled
to be more of a hindrance than a help. They are good for long straight
runs, not twisting and turning around things. They are more awkward in that
situation. I learned to hate my first mower, a self propelled. Do a
comparison for maneuverability. The drive mechanisms add size, weight.

Normally, I'd say to get a mulching blade, but you may have too much grass
to safely mulch. It would help in the drier times though, no bagging and
hauling.

Electric start is not needed on a good mower. My John Deer is five years
old. I push the primer button six times and it starts on one pull. After
sitting the entire winter, it may take two pulls the first run of the
season.

Deere, Honda, Toro are all good. I've not kept up with individual models so
I can't give a particular recommendation.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Old 25-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Bob M.

Toro has gotten much cheaper in the past 10 years. That doesn't mean less
expensive. They don't use the Japanese engines any more, instead getting B&S
engines specifically made for them. Parts are expensive and some of the
wheels are plastic instead of rubber.

Electric start isn't necessary on good engines. With compression release,
the pulling effort is much less than it was 20 years ago. The batteries need
to be replaced fairly often. If you get a mower that has a blade clutch,
i.e. the motor can keep running when the blade isn't, you only need to start
the thing once per session. One or two pulls aren't that much of an effort
any more.

Just my humble opinions. Your mileage may vary.

Bob M.
======
igy.com...

Old 30-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Bill Freeman

You DO have a lot of water. In the Northeast I've about 2 acres of
land .. . about an acre of lawn .. . you can mow it all in half a day or in
3 one-hour+ sessions. Great exercise! With trees, shrubs and hillocks .. .
a simple 21" self-propelled mower is all that's needed (I've a 20 year old
Honda if that's a help). John Deere and Honda are bulletproof reliable.
Sorry to hear about Toro using B&S. B&S are fussy engines. I've also a 40
year old "Eclipse" reel mower (with zerk fittings no less) and you have to
pull the B&S head, scrape down the valves and combustion chamber annually
just to get it to start for the season. The Honda just sits around in the
sub-freezing winter .. . and starts on the first pull. Different
technologies. Recommend synthetic oil in anything you buy .. . word to the
wise.
Try a normal "bailer" chute, mulcher and bagger for attachments.
When the grass is thick .. . bail it. Mulch when it's shorter, to feed the
grass. Bag (and compost it) when it's too high to bail (or might otherwise
kill the grass). Sounds like you could also use "plugger" to aerate the
grass where you are.

Lawnmower purchase advice mattDP Lawns 1 16-05-2008 01:37 PM
Lawnmower purchase advice mattDP United Kingdom 0 16-05-2008 12:13 PM
Poppies Memorial Day Srgnt Billko Lawns 7 02-06-2007 01:46 AM
Seeking advice on a tiller purchase Bob Texas 4 04-05-2007 02:28 PM
Memorial Day ruminations, kinda sorta involving a pond Gary Woods Ponds 2 04-06-2005 01:45 AM