Old 24-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Shirley Thebaglady

Default Getting Rid of MOSS

It is starting to grow in our lawn. We tried putting Lime down to
sweeten the ground, but it still keeps growing.

Anyone have any ideas?

shirley

Old 25-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Die Spammer

Shirley Thebaglady wrote:

It is starting to grow in our lawn. We tried putting Lime down to
sweeten the ground, but it still keeps growing.

Anyone have any ideas?

shirley

Fertilizer with nitrogen in it will kill the moss or better yet go get a
bag or two (depending on your lawn size) of "Moss Out" granules and
spread it over your lawn as prescribed on the instructions or maybe a
little more then the prescribed instructions. After regular watering,
you will see the moss turn brown/die in about a week or two. Then it's
good to thatch or pull the moss out. You can use a stiff dirt rake but
thats alot of work for one person, but very good exerecise. Or you can
get a thatching blade for your lawn mower and run the mower over the
thatch with slow engine speed. Or rent a thatcher from your locar
hardware, garden, or rental store. You might want to cut the grass as
low as you can first. After you thatch, you will pull whats left of the
grass out , but once the grass grows back it will look much better. When
you fully done, then you can put down your lime and fertilizer but not
at the same time. Lime then after a 6 weeks you can fertilize or vice
versa.

1)put down moss out
2)wait a few weeks or untill the moss is brown
3)cut grass low
4)thatch
5)rake up excess moss
6)lime- but since you already limed you probably dont need to lime again
this year if existing lime is saturated into the ground
7)water
8)wait about 4-6 weeks
9)fertilize
10)water

Old 28-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Bob

"Die Spammer" wrote in message

When
you fully done, then you can put down your lime and fertilizer but not
at the same time. Lime then after a 6 weeks you can fertilize or vice
versa.

I've never heard this before. I frequently fertilize and lime at the same
time, and have never had any problem. I've always considered lime a very
slow acting, long term treatment, not a "reactive" type of thing.

Bob

Old 28-05-2003, 12:20 PM

"Bob" wrote:
"Die Spammer" wrote in message

When
you fully done, then you can put down your lime and fertilizer but not
at the same time. Lime then after a 6 weeks you can fertilize or vice
versa.

I've never heard this before. I frequently fertilize and lime at the same
time, and have never had any problem. I've always considered lime a very
slow acting, long term treatment, not a "reactive" type of thing.

Bob

You're correct, Bob. They can be applied at the same time.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Lawn And Moss: Getting Rid Of ? Bob Gardening 15 22-04-2010 12:58 PM
How do I get rid of moss Stan Lawns 11 02-02-2008 04:06 AM
Moss--How do I get rid of it? [email protected] Gardening 9 17-10-2004 01:17 PM
How do I get rid of stringy green moss in my Koi pond? RoundRide Ponds 2 10-03-2003 05:08 PM