Old 25-05-2003, 03:56 PM
groggey

Default Water pressure for hose

I have two outdoor water faucet and both of them have poor water pressure.
I get nearly 1/4 of the square area a sprinkler says it can sprinkle. Also
the copper pipe leading to the faucets are 1/2 inch. Since the hose is 5/8"
does this have anything to do with it? If I went we a 1/2 hose with that
solve the problem? Is there any way of increasing the water pressure? Can
I buy a pump somewhere that I can hook to the hose end to increase the water
pressure?

Tim

Old 25-05-2003, 05:20 PM

I have the same problem. I bought one of those travelling sprinklers
for $70. That's alot of money for a sprinkler. It's supposed to
cover a 60' diameter for 45psi, but I only get half that coverage.

I have well water, so I called the "water guy" to check it out.
He checked the intake on the iron filter, and it was almost totally
clogged. He replaced it with an intake that had more holes/slots, and
he said that I would see a huge difference in water pressure.

But I haven't.

I really want to have a nice lawn this year, and water will be
critical, so I'd really like to get the pressure up. But I have no
idea what to do next.

The pressure guage on the water system is set for 40/60, so there is
obviously a serious pressure drop from there to the faucet.
Old 25-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Oscar_lives

wrote in message
I have the same problem. I bought one of those travelling sprinklers
for $70. That's alot of money for a sprinkler. It's supposed to
cover a 60' diameter for 45psi, but I only get half that coverage.

I have well water, so I called the "water guy" to check it out.
He checked the intake on the iron filter, and it was almost totally
clogged. He replaced it with an intake that had more holes/slots, and
he said that I would see a huge difference in water pressure.

But I haven't.

I really want to have a nice lawn this year, and water will be
critical, so I'd really like to get the pressure up. But I have no
idea what to do next.

The pressure guage on the water system is set for 40/60, so there is
obviously a serious pressure drop from there to the faucet.

I'm on city water, and my pressure is 115 psi. My sprinklers work GREAT!!!
(so does my shower!)

Old 26-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Timothy

On Sun, 25 May 2003 13:55:36 +0000, groggey wrote:

I have two outdoor water faucet and both of them have poor water
pressure. I get nearly 1/4 of the square area a sprinkler says it can
sprinkle. Also the copper pipe leading to the faucets are 1/2 inch.
Since the hose is 5/8" does this have anything to do with it? If I went
we a 1/2 hose with that solve the problem? Is there any way of
increasing the water pressure? Can I buy a pump somewhere that I can
hook to the hose end to increase the water pressure?

I might be mistaken ( and I'm sure someone will point it out if I am ;-P
), but the garden hose is 5/8 od (outside diamater) and the copper 1/2 is
messured by id (inside diamater). So it's quite possible that the hose and
pipe are the same diamater. Either way an 1/8 inch isn't alot of
difference and I doubt that you would notice a big pressure drop from it.

What you can do is test the pressure. You can purchase a screw on pressure
tester that screws on to the faucet and you turn it on. It should read max
pressure at the faucet. Anything under 40 psi can give you trouble, 60 is
average street pressure and anything over 80 can cause problems with
exploding hoses.
Things that can give you grief.....
Well water with a weak pump or a small collection tank.
Faucets that are above street grade.
Dirty or clogged lines.
Broken or leaking lines or fittings.
Your screens in your faucet (if equipted) may be clogged.
And a whole list more.
With the pressure tester you will be able to see if you have a real
pressure problem. If you charge up the tester and leave it with the faucet
on, you'll be able to see if you have a small leak vai the dropping
pressure.
Good luck with the water.........

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 26-05-2003, 04:20 AM

I'm on city water, and my pressure is 115 psi. My sprinklers work GREAT!!!
(so does my shower!)

If your pressure is that high then you better make sure your sump pump
works. Your washing machines normally closed water valve
won't last to long at that pressure.

Old 26-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Oscar_lives

wrote in message

I'm on city water, and my pressure is 115 psi. My sprinklers work

GREAT!!!
(so does my shower!)

If your pressure is that high then you better make sure your sump pump
works. Your washing machines normally closed water valve
won't last to long at that pressure.

No problem for 14 years...

No sump pump, either!

Old 26-05-2003, 04:09 PM
groggey

we have city water so the well pump is out of the question

Can I ask the city to look at it? Is there a pressure regulator any where
for that?

Tim

Old 26-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Timothy

On Mon, 26 May 2003 12:32:04 +0000, groggey wrote:

we have city water so the well pump is out of the question

Can I ask the city to look at it? Is there a pressure regulator any where
for that?

Yes, you should be able to ask the water department to come and pressure
test your line. This may or may not cost money and the way I figure it, I'd
spend the 10 dollars on a screw on tester.
There could/should be a regulator at the street with your water meter. At
least that's where mine is. I could be possible that your street pressure
is low but if that was the case your shower, toilet, sinks,washers ..ect,
would be affected with this low pressure. If your whole house has low
pressure, then I'd suspect the street pressure is low. If only your
sprinklers have low pressure issues, then I'd suspect the sprinklers. Is
it possible that their clogged with dirt/rust..ect? If the sprinklers look
good, then I'd suspect the the faucets themselves. Could they be corroded
and not be opening all the way?
I would also take my sprinklers over to a neighbors house and test them on
their system to see if they are the same or possibly to a friends house
thats not on your local water system to check your sprinklers flow. Good
luck watering.
--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 27-05-2003, 12:44 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

What exactly is your pressure?
I've got 120psi at my outdoor faucet which connects to my main incoming line
*before* the houses pressure regulator.

We're on a gravity feed system by the way, so in our rural area, thousands
of gallons tanks are situated above our town and are gravity fed to our
area. The only time I noticed a decrease in pressure was when I installed a
proper sprinkler electronic control valve. When I switched it back to a
manual ball cock valve I had plenty of pressure again.

"groggey" wrote in message
: I have two outdoor water faucet and both of them have poor water pressure.
: I get nearly 1/4 of the square area a sprinkler says it can sprinkle.
Also
: the copper pipe leading to the faucets are 1/2 inch. Since the hose is
5/8"
: does this have anything to do with it? If I went we a 1/2 hose with that
: solve the problem? Is there any way of increasing the water pressure?
Can
: I buy a pump somewhere that I can hook to the hose end to increase the
water
: pressure?
:
: Tim
:
:

Old 28-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Bob

"groggey" wrote in message
I have two outdoor water faucet and both of them have poor water pressure.
I get nearly 1/4 of the square area a sprinkler says it can sprinkle.

Also
the copper pipe leading to the faucets are 1/2 inch. Since the hose is

5/8"
does this have anything to do with it? If I went we a 1/2 hose with that
solve the problem? Is there any way of increasing the water pressure?

Can
I buy a pump somewhere that I can hook to the hose end to increase the

water
pressure?

The hose is not the problem (unless it is too long), although a larger
diameter hose might help some. Try using a faucet that is as close to where
the water comes in as possible. If the water comes in the front of the
house, and you use a faucet at the back, your pipes could be limiting flow.

Where I live, you can get an idea of the local water pressure by the color
of the fire hydrants. Green is good high pressure (mine is 70 PSI), yellow
is lower, and red hydrants indicate low water pressure.

Does using one water source drastically reduce the pressure at any other in
your house? That would suggest that the piping is limiting flow. If not, you
likely have low pressure delivered to your house. There are "booster" pumps
that could help, if the necessary water volume is available.

Bob