Old 27-05-2003, 02:20 PM

Default Is there a way to avoid rotation in a vegetable garden?

We have read that vegetable gardening requires rotation -- not planting the
same crop (or crops in the same family) in the same spot multiple years in
succession. It often seems to be recommended that as many as two years pass
by before replanting the same crop in a particular spot. Apparently each
crop type attracts pests of a particular type, which then damage the crop if
it is planted in the same spot the next year.

We have a situation where we can have only a very small vegetable growing
area, which has to be reused year after year. For us, rotation would
require growing a totally different vegetable each year. However, we prefer
to grow mainly tomatoes, and would like to grow tomatoes each year.

Is there anything we can do to "recondition" the soil to eliminate the need
for rotation?

Old 27-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Patch

wrote in message
[...]

I've grown tomatoes in the same spot for 11 years. The only thing I do is
roto-till each spring with some dried cow-manure mixed in. I also use
"Miracle Grow" for the tomatoes.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Tom Ellison

Crop rotation is for two primary purposes: maintaining soil fertility and
managing pests. For crops that are annuals, rotation isn't an option, so
there certainly are alternatives.

For example, grow carrots in the same area for a few years and all you'll do
is feed bugs. Various pests eat the carrots underground. Move the carrots
around every year and the problem is minimal (usually).

Tomatoes are an annual, even if not grown in a climate where they
over-winter. They are probably better adapted to non-rotation than many
other crops. The tomato pests I can think of are airborne anyway, so
planting in the same spot isn't a big thing.

Still, rotation has advantages. So I wonder what is the reason for not
rotating? I take it you're planting more than half your space in tomatoes
every year, so you'll be reusing at least some area for tomatoes each year.
Probably not a big thing. A little research should reveal what minerals you
are taking out with what you eat. You need to try to put that back. If you
do, not only will the tomatoes continue to grow well, but you will continue
to get the health benefits of the minerals yourself. If you compost the
vines (shredder is handy) you won't be removing that material from the soil.

A little preaching: soil minerals aren't highly usable for human
consumption. I don't believe in eating rocks to get your calcium. Only
plants can transform minerals into organic enzymes (when we say vitamins and
minerals, it isn't two separate things, but the two together!) Animals
cannot tranform inorganic nutrients into living tissue, at least not
efficiently. Your garden does this for you. I use this thought to increase
my motivation to garden. The garden is the marvelous factory, and I just
tweak it to make it run the way I want (such as choosing strawberries over
weeds).

So, it just takes a bit more management to not rotate and still be
sustainable.

Tom Ellison