Old 31-05-2003, 07:08 AM
nospam

Default Identification of rough grass invading lawn

I have some clumps of a very coarse rough grass invading my lawn. Each
clump is about 2" (5cm) to 10" (25cm) in diameter, and is composed of
hundreds of grass 'plantlets'. This is on a heavy clay soil in Essex, UK.
I have controlled it by pulling it up, but it comes back after a season.

A photograph of a grass plantlet can be seen here
http://ucosm.tripod.com/photos/grass6.jpg (21KB). The plantlet
photographed measures approx 4" (10cm) from root to leaftip.

Can anyone identify this grass, and offer any advice about removing it?

TIA
Susan

Old 31-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Drakanthus

I have some clumps of a very coarse rough grass invading my lawn. Each
clump is about 2" (5cm) to 10" (25cm) in diameter, and is composed of
hundreds of grass 'plantlets'. This is on a heavy clay soil in Essex, UK.
I have controlled it by pulling it up, but it comes back after a season.

A photograph of a grass plantlet can be seen here
http://ucosm.tripod.com/photos/grass6.jpg (21KB). The plantlet
photographed measures approx 4" (10cm) from root to leaftip.

Can anyone identify this grass, and offer any advice about removing it?

TIA
Susan

It looks somewhat like twitch grass (also know by a few other names). Twitch
grass produces invasive roots which spread the grass around. In a garden the
recommended way to get rid of it is to carefully fork the soil removing all
peices of root - since any bits left will form a new plant.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 01-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Die Spammer

nospam wrote:

I have some clumps of a very coarse rough grass invading my lawn. Each
clump is about 2" (5cm) to 10" (25cm) in diameter, and is composed of
hundreds of grass 'plantlets'. This is on a heavy clay soil in Essex, UK.
I have controlled it by pulling it up, but it comes back after a season.

A photograph of a grass plantlet can be seen here
http://ucosm.tripod.com/photos/grass6.jpg (21KB). The plantlet
photographed measures approx 4" (10cm) from root to leaftip.

Can anyone identify this grass, and offer any advice about removing it?

TIA
Susan

thats called Quack Grass

Odd kind of clover invading my lawn... AL_n United Kingdom 11 29-06-2014 10:39 PM
Rough Rough! Dave Hill United Kingdom 25 14-01-2010 09:23 PM
Zoysia invading centipede lawn [email protected] Lawns 6 24-08-2007 09:46 PM
Baby tears invading lawn in shady areas. [email protected] Gardening 0 18-09-2006 05:57 AM
Identification of rough grass invading lawn nospam United Kingdom 3 01-06-2003 03:56 AM