Old 02-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Brian Burke

Default Desperate for tree removal help

Hello everyone.

I just moved into a house and paid to have about 12 trees removed and the
stumps ground. As I'm learning, a tree service ONLY grinds the stumps and
leaves the stump grindings behind. The guy that is doing mine said it's a
hassle for them to get rid of the stuff. I thought I would do it myself
until he told me the grindings would amount to multiple pickup truck loads
(These were huge pine trees). He also said that the grindings must be moved
before it rains because rain will cause them to solidify and become like
concrete. He said he can remove them, but will charge me as much as he did
for each stump which is a total of $850.

Any input and/or suggestions on this is appreciated. I can't use the stuff
as mulch because it's just way too much and I don't have access to a pickup
truck.

Thanks.

Brian

Old 04-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Chet Hayes

This guy is hosing you. Are we talking about just the stump grindings
or the chippings from all the trees? The removal of the tree
chippings should have been spelled out in a quote/contract upfront and
included in the cost of the tree removal. The stump grindings from 12
trees can't amount to that much and be worth anywhere near $850 to get
rid of. The trees should have been cut close to the ground, so when
they're ground down, a substantial amount of the stump is below grade
to begin with. There shouldn't be huge amounts of material left above
grade.

How much did you pay for the actual tree removal? I've had a crew of
4 guys with a boom truck, chipper, grinder, etc for a full day for
$1000.

If you haven't got an area on your property to simply move it too and
let it rot, then I'd contact a few local handyman type guys and it
shouldnt be too hard to find someone to remove it for you.

And the idea that the stuff is going to harden up with a rain is BS.

Old 06-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Randolph Crawford

Agreed. Avoid this clown and look elsewhere. Most pro stump grinders
also will probably not remove the grindings for free. But you can probably
put a sign in front of your house reading "FREE MULCH" and get your
neighbors to cart it away for free. That's what I'd do.

Randy

--
Randy Crawford http://cac.engin.umich.edu
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~crwfrd

Old 06-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Dave G

I know that is a lot of money. I'm in Sarasota Florida and around
here the going price is $1 per inch of stump at the widest point. I
had a huge rosewood tree removed for $300 and it cost me another $85
to get the stump ground out. $850 for 12 trees does not sound
outrageous. But like anything else....shop around.

Old 07-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Chet Hayes

"$850 for 12 trees does not sound outrageous. "

The poster said the guy wanted $850 for the removal of the material
left from grinding 12 stumps, not for tree or stump removal.