Old 03-06-2003, 11:32 PM
carl roberts

Default roundup-application

hello all-we are actually having a spring here in Memphis! I have an old
glass container of roundup (the good stuff-concentrate) I was thinking
of using a small sponge paintbrush dipped in the roundup concentrate to
kill nutgrass and ground ivy in my bermuda grass lawn. As long as the
wet sponge makes contact with the unwanted weeds do you think this will
be sufficient for their demise?

Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 AM

carl roberts wrote:
hello all-we are actually having a spring here in Memphis! I have an old
glass container of roundup (the good stuff-concentrate) I was thinking
of using a small sponge paintbrush dipped in the roundup concentrate to
kill nutgrass and ground ivy in my bermuda grass lawn. As long as the
wet sponge makes contact with the unwanted weeds do you think this will
be sufficient for their demise?

Yes, but it sounds like a recipie for brown spots.

Try a more selective control:

http://tinyurl.com/dflm

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 04-06-2003, 02:56 PM
carl roberts

I did a section of my yard (this is a test)yesterday and I was careful
to touch only the blades of the nutgrass and leaves of the ground ivy.
just wondered how effective a (touch) of the potent concentrate would
be. Also looked at the url-Ortho is effective for nutgrass and ground ivy?

Old 04-06-2003, 10:08 PM

carl roberts wrote:
I did a section of my yard (this is a test)yesterday and I was careful
to touch only the blades of the nutgrass and leaves of the ground ivy.
just wondered how effective a (touch) of the potent concentrate would
be. Also looked at the url-Ortho is effective for nutgrass and ground
ivy?

That's what it says. It may need more than one dose, so it would
be less expensive to buy the concentrate.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 05-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Carl e Roberts

so I actually do need to mix some water with the roundup concentrate (in order
to translocate the glysohate into the plant) -what would be the mix ratio
(water to concentrate)? This roundup I have was given to me years ago (it is
in a one liter glass "Tab" bottle) with no mix directions..

Dave G wrote:

If you are going to do a wick or sponge application you can mix it
stronger but don't go crazy. If you mix it to strong all you will do
is burn the foliage and not translocate the glysohate into the plant.

On 04 Jun 2003 21:04:39 GMT, wrote:

(Chet Hayes) wrote:
Yes, but I'd mix it extra strong. And more than one application may be
needed.

carl roberts wrote in message
hello all-we are actually having a spring here in Memphis! I have an
old glass container of roundup (the good stuff-concentrate) I was
thinking of using a small sponge paintbrush dipped in the roundup
concentrate to kill nutgrass and ground ivy in my bermuda grass lawn.
As long as the wet sponge makes contact with the unwanted weeds do you
think this will be sufficient for their demise?

How do you go extra strong with concentrate?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 PM
tommyboy

carl roberts wrote in message ...
hello all-we are actually having a spring here in Memphis! I have an old
glass container of roundup (the good stuff-concentrate) I was thinking
of using a small sponge paintbrush dipped in the roundup concentrate to
kill nutgrass and ground ivy in my bermuda grass lawn. As long as the
wet sponge makes contact with the unwanted weeds do you think this will
be sufficient for their demise?

the correct mixture for concentrate is 6 fl ounces (12 tbls) per
gallon of water. dont waste it using it straight imho.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Dave G

What is the percentage of glyphosate.

Old 05-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Dave G

I just went back and read a couple of the old messages. Yeah you are
right. RoundUp is not the solution. A selective broadcast herbicide
is what he needs. I'm in Florida and the only thing we use MSMA is
burmuda grass. 24D+Dicamba for bahia grass, atrazine on st augustine
grass. I think Image is supposed to control purple nut sedge.

While all this sounds good and well the bottom line is if you have a
thick healthy lawn you won't have a weed problem.

dg
On 04 Jun 2003 23:18:49 GMT, wrote:

(Dave G) wrote:
If you are going to do a wick or sponge application you can mix it
stronger but don't go crazy. If you mix it to strong all you will do
is burn the foliage and not translocate the glysohate into the plant.

Why wouldn't you use something more selective on your lawn?

Nutsedge and ground ivy can be controlled with MSMA. (old school)

I'd treat the nutgrass and ground ivy with two seperate
products. (neither would be roundup or wick app)

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/