Old 08-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Allen Lai

Default To cut or not to cut ....

Hi Guys,

I got a maple tree at my back yard, actually, I got two, but one is growing
taller and taller, don't think my neighbour like me much cause it block all
the sun in their yard... can I cut it down from the the top... ie , the tree
is now, may be 40 feet tall, can I cut the top 10 feet down and trim the
middle ? I am in southern Ontario...and when is the best time to cut ?

Thanks in advance....

Al. : (

Old 08-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Peter H

"Allen Lai" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
Hi Guys,

I got a maple tree at my back yard, actually, I got two, but one is

growing
taller and taller, don't think my neighbour like me much cause it block

all
the sun in their yard... can I cut it down from the the top... ie , the

tree
is now, may be 40 feet tall, can I cut the top 10 feet down and trim the
middle ? I am in southern Ontario...and when is the best time to cut ?

Thanks in advance....

Al. : (

You can prune a maple tree but....... Whenever you cut the limb off a tree
you are leaving it open to infection and disease. You really should read up
on the subject a bit before attempting it. The best time to do so would be
in the winter, when the sap isn't running. It can be done in the summer, but
would be slightly harder on the tree. Late summer and fall are pruning
stimulate new growth, which may not get a chance to " harden off " before
winter and should be avoided as well. The springtime would be very hard on
the tree as it would bleed excessively.

My sister-in-law's live-in boyfriend killed 2 beautiful maples in her
backyard with his annual " pruning", so be very careful.

Peter H

Old 08-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 05:37:04 +0000, Allen Lai wrote:

Hi Guys,

I got a maple tree at my back yard, actually, I got two, but one is
growing taller and taller, don't think my neighbour like me much cause it
block all the sun in their yard... can I cut it down from the the top...
ie , the tree is now, may be 40 feet tall, can I cut the top 10 feet down
and trim the middle ? I am in southern Ontario...and when is the best
time to cut ?

Never top a tree. All you will end up with is a disfigured tree that may
become dangerous in the years to come. What happens when you top the
tree....
As soon as you top the tree, the tree looks terrible.
The next season the tree puts on excessive growth, trying to return to the
size it was before you cut it. Generally this growth is straight and tall
with little to no branching.
In the years to come, the new top growth gets taller and branches out
more. This newer top growth is weakly attached to the tree. The branches
will be prone to wind throw in storms and very likly you'll end up with
damage to your property or worse, your neighbors property.

What I would tend to do...
Talk to your neighbor about the trees. See if they mind the shade ect. You
may be surprised by their thoughts and feelings about the trees. If it
turns out that they don't like the shade, then theres two options in my
opinion. The first option would be to 'window' the tree. This is done by
removing some of the larger branches of the tree at the base where they
connect to the main trunk. The goal would be to let more light pass
through the tree ( kind of like a window ) so your neighbors can have a
brighter yard. I would not recommend that this all be done in one cutting.
It may take up to 5 years to remove all the offending branches safely.

The second option would be to remove the tree completely and replace it
with a tree of the right hight and shape for the space. This will be much
cheaper than trying to maintain a topped tree every season or so and a
topped tree will not add any beauty to your landscape.

Not knowing what type of maple you have, I would say 40 feet may only be
half of the total hight that maple could get to. Can your space handle an
80 tall X 40 wide tree?

Good luck to you and your trees.....

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington

Old 09-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Allen Lai

It is discouraging.... 80 feet tall... I already know my neighbour do not
like the shade, we already tried to thin out the bottom part, but it results
in the tree growing taller faster... and if I cannot top the tree, then I
may have to do the unthinkable, but it is such a beautiful tree, may be I
will leave it as is until my neighbour ....... : (

news

Old 09-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Allen Lai

It is a beautiful tree, I really have to think hard and do some research
before I act...but thanks for the advise....

"Peter H" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

Old 09-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Chet Hayes

Well, I guess it depends how big a deal it is, how happy you want to
make your neighbor and if you remove it, what's left after the tree's
gone. I don't know about you, but I can't stand new subdivisions
where houses are built on fields and when you step out your backdoor,
you're looking at the back of your neighbor's house.

If it were me, I'd give priority to how it makes my property look.
And if I was removing a tree on my property for a neighbor and it
wasn't a safety issue, I'd suggest he pay for the removal.

"Allen Lai" wrote in message le.rogers.com...
It is discouraging.... 80 feet tall... I already know my neighbour do not
like the shade, we already tried to thin out the bottom part, but it results
in the tree growing taller faster... and if I cannot top the tree, then I
may have to do the unthinkable, but it is such a beautiful tree, may be I
will leave it as is until my neighbour ....... : (

news

Old 10-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Allen Lai

Good news, (at lease for now..) my immediate neighbour is moving this
summer, keep my fingers crossed that my new would-be neighbour will like the
shade...

After all, this tree been here for 18 years, I think it deserved to stay....

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
Well, I guess it depends how big a deal it is, how happy you want to
make your neighbor and if you remove it, what's left after the tree's
gone. I don't know about you, but I can't stand new subdivisions
where houses are built on fields and when you step out your backdoor,
you're looking at the back of your neighbor's house.

If it were me, I'd give priority to how it makes my property look.
And if I was removing a tree on my property for a neighbor and it
wasn't a safety issue, I'd suggest he pay for the removal.

"Allen Lai" wrote in message

le.rogers.com...
It is discouraging.... 80 feet tall... I already know my neighbour do

not
like the shade, we already tried to thin out the bottom part, but it

results
in the tree growing taller faster... and if I cannot top the tree, then

may have to do the unthinkable, but it is such a beautiful tree, may be

will leave it as is until my neighbour ....... : (

news

Old 11-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Jim Sullivan

"Allen Lai" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Good news, (at lease for now..) my immediate neighbour is moving this
summer, keep my fingers crossed that my new would-be neighbour will like

the
shade...

After all, this tree been here for 18 years, I think it deserved to

stay....

Of course it deserves to stay. In fact, since your new neighbour will
purchase a house with a shady backyard, there is no reason for you to ever
consider removing that beautiful tree.

Good fences make good neighbours

--
Jim Sullivan

Old 12-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Allen Lai

Problem is, my neighbour like to garden too, with my maple tree sitting at
their NW corner, ... let put it this way, they just have too much shade...
you are right though about good fences make good neighbour.

And more I look at it, it is beautiful....

"Jim Sullivan" wrote in message

le.rogers.com...

Old 12-06-2003, 05:56 AM

"Allen Lai" wrote:
Problem is, my neighbour like to garden too, with my maple tree sitting
at their NW corner, ... let put it this way, they just have too much
shade... you are right though about good fences make good neighbour.

And more I look at it, it is beautiful....

You can always have it pruned to allow more sun. Keep
the tree if you can.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/