GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawn Tractor Mulching or Not? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/32050-lawn-tractor-mulching-not.html)

Alan Whitehouse 15-06-2003 06:42 AM

Lawn Tractor Mulching or Not?

Hi,
I just bought a house and with it came a YardWorks riding lawn mower
from Canadian Tire). In the manual it mentions a mulching kit but that
is about all (it says to look at the documentation with the kit which
I don't have). How can I tell if I am mulching or not? The reason I
ask is that the side discharge is still going and right now the
clippings on my backyard almost look like I could bail them for hay.
Thanks.

Alan

[email protected] 15-06-2003 12:08 PM

(Alan Whitehouse) wrote:
Hi,
I just bought a house and with it came a YardWorks riding lawn mower
from Canadian Tire). In the manual it mentions a mulching kit but that
is about all (it says to look at the documentation with the kit which
I don't have). How can I tell if I am mulching or not? The reason I
ask is that the side discharge is still going and right now the
clippings on my backyard almost look like I could bail them for hay.
Thanks.

Alan

Sounds like you don't have the mulching blades on it. No
big deal to change, but it still may not act like a real
mulching deck. Try changing the blades, and closing off
the discharge. As long as it's not bailable afterward,
it's an improvement. ;P

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Alan Whitehouse 15-06-2003 01:44 PM

Lawn Tractor Mulching or Not?

Thanks for the information. Just to confirm, if I install a mulching
kit on the riding mower, I would also want to block off the side
discharge chute?

Alan

[email protected] 15-06-2003 01:56 PM

(Alan Whitehouse) wrote:
Thanks for the information. Just to confirm, if I install a mulching
kit on the riding mower, I would also want to block off the side
discharge chute?

I think so, it allows the clippings to be chopped up again.

Dunno for sure about aftermarket applications though. Be
sure to cut it early and often, don't take off more than
1/3 of the grass blade at once.

Happy mowing. (tractor needs a beer holder) ;)

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/