Old 18-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Joe Zorzin

Default grass on a mound style septic field

Wow, a newsgroup on lawns! What will they think of next.

Anyways, last year I had a new septic field built here in a mountain top
hill town in western Massachusetts- where the ground won't perk due to heavy
clay soils.

The new septic field is a huge "mound" type. The contractors brought in
something like 38 huge truck loads of gravel and sand and whatever else goes
into it. It's almost the size of a tennis court! The top is elevated like a
mound with a gentle slope in all directions. The contractor told me that
there is 4" of top soil on top of all that sand and gravel.

The lawn that they seeded hasn't come in well. At the time, I had no idea of
what type of seed is available- since then I've learned about "contractor
mix" which I think has some weeds in it which can grab hold quick to hold
the dirt in place. Along the edges of the mound, the grass has come in much
better- but in the middle it looks sparse.

I'm trying to keep the cost down in fixing the lawn problem. Most people
seem to think the best solution is to spread out more grass seed. That may
be true, but I also wonder if the top soil is deficient and it's probably
excessively well drained in the middle.

If I were to spread seed, what type is best? Can I spread fertilizer at the
same time? Any other suggestions?

We've had far too much rain this spring, so a shortage of water at this time
can't be the problem.

--
Joe Zorzin

Old 19-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Peter H

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds to me like the weeds got a foothold before the grass had a chance
to. The fault may have been with the topsoil or the seed. This is a very
common problem when starting a lawn from seed anyway. My suggestion would be
to get rid of the weeds and then see what happens. You may possibly be
pleasantly surprised to find that there is a lawn there struggling to come
through.

The best time to seed a lawn is in mid-August as the fall weed season is not
nearly as competitive as the spring one. Why not take a couple of wacks at
the weeds with a weed killer this spring and then reseed in August.

Peter H

Old 19-06-2003, 03:08 AM

"Joe Zorzin" wrote:
[...]

If you don't wan't to cut,fert,weed, that mound, try the
'no mow' blend. Here's a link:

http://www.prairienursery.com/FAQs/faq_nomow.html

If you want a more cared for look, try the hybrid
turf type tall fescue blends.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 19-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Chet Hayes

Get the soil tested, at least for PH. New material that is trucked in
can be way out of wack, frequently too low in PH. A PH of about 6.5
is good for most grass types. Get it adjusted with lime now if
necessary.

Wait till early Sept to reseed. If you have lots of weeds, little
grass, kill the whole thing with roundup the week before you reseed.

Rent a slice seeder and use the best seed you can find. A mix of tall
fescue, Rebel variety is good and blue grass should work fine. If you
are more concerned about drought resistance since it's raised, I think
Loft's has a summer stress mix seed. Use starter fertilizer, keep it
constantly lightly wetted, use weed free straw or some peat moss as a
light top dressing to help retain moisture.

no grass over septic tank B&H Lawns 7 20-03-2010 06:11 PM
Planting above a septic leach field ? BillC Gardening 3 01-05-2005 02:07 PM
Recommendations for new tree near septic drain field? Andyd Texas 8 27-07-2004 08:06 AM
Dry grass over septic tank GaryM Gardening 4 12-07-2004 03:02 AM
Ground cover for my Mound leach field? [email protected] Lawns 3 20-11-2003 06:58 PM