GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Never Mind... help with lawn tractor (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/33395-never-mind-re-help-lawn-tractor.html)

Jerry S. 21-06-2003 01:56 PM

Never Mind... help with lawn tractor

"Jerry S." wrote:

Please advise,

Have a Sears lawn tractor, 19.5 HP briggs & stratton (model name I/C
Platinum). Anyway it just grinds when the key is turned to start. This
problem happened once yesterday and then my wife got it started, and now
it will not start. If it was a car I would be looking for a starter. I
have no experience with small engines other than cleaning carb, fuel
filter replacement, oil and filter replacement.

Thanks very much for any help.

Jerry S.

Never mind,
Got adventurous, checked battery cables, located starter motor, removed
starter motor. Gear teeth are shot, will check out another one hopefully at
Tractor Supply Co.

Thanks anyway,

Jerry S.

Jerry S. 22-06-2003 02:56 PM

"Jerry S." wrote:

"Jerry S." wrote:

Please advise,

Have a Sears lawn tractor, 19.5 HP briggs & stratton (model name I/C
Platinum). Anyway it just grinds when the key is turned to start. This
problem happened once yesterday and then my wife got it started, and now
it will not start. If it was a car I would be looking for a starter. I
have no experience with small engines other than cleaning carb, fuel
filter replacement, oil and filter replacement.

Thanks very much for any help.

Jerry S.

Never mind,
Got adventurous, checked battery cables, located starter motor, removed
starter motor. Gear teeth are shot, will check out another one hopefully at
Tractor Supply Co.

Thanks anyway,

Jerry S.

TSC sent me to a nearby small engine supply store, they had a starter on hand
for $135.25 without tax. The salesman recommended that I just replace the
bendix for $22. The replacement was uneventful, the installation went without a
hitch (except the inside bolt has such close clearance that I had to get my 15
year old daughter to get the threads engaged finally so I could tighten it).
And the mower started up immediately!
Glad I took a moment and spent some time on this!

Jerry S.