GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   peonies question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/33540-peonies-question.html)

FireBrick 22-06-2003 06:08 PM

peonies question

My super large peonies have finished blooming.
Petals have fallen off exposing what I think are seed pots.
Green bulbs at the end of the stalk where the petals were.

Can I use these to plant?
How?
When?

Thanks in advance.

Don't make me come down there. -God

Bill H. in Chicagoland

H B Veeder 24-06-2003 08:32 PM

peonies question

The most common way to propagate peonies is to divide the roots in the fall.
Even if you could grow the seeds from the seed pod they probably would not
be true to plant you took them from.

William Plummer 27-06-2003 09:56 PM

peonies question

Remember that peonies must be planted so the little red buds are slight
*above* the surface. Believe it. Even in cold zones. They will not bloom
if you don't do this.