GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   remove mandrel shaft? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/34094-remove-mandrel-shaft.html)

jasco 25-06-2003 03:08 PM

remove mandrel shaft?

I have a 42" Craftsman (917.258523) riding mower and have decided to
change out the mower deck and mandrel shafts. The shaft's star keyway
for the blades have worn flat. The probelm: I can't get the nut off of
the top of the shaft, the shaft spins freely in the housing and I
can't hold the pulley tight enough to get the nut lose.

Any suggestions...

Chip Stein 26-06-2003 01:20 AM

remove mandrel shaft?

(jasco) wrote in message . com...
I have a 42" Craftsman (917.258523) riding mower and have decided to
change out the mower deck and mandrel shafts. The shaft's star keyway
for the blades have worn flat. The probelm: I can't get the nut off of
the top of the shaft, the shaft spins freely in the housing and I
can't hold the pulley tight enough to get the nut lose.

Any suggestions...

impact. or wrap a strap wrench around the pulley.
Chip

Jebediah Kornworthy 26-06-2003 05:08 PM

remove mandrel shaft?

"jasco" wrote in message
om...
I have a 42" Craftsman (917.258523) riding mower and have decided to
change out the mower deck and mandrel shafts. The shaft's star keyway
for the blades have worn flat. The probelm: I can't get the nut off of
the top of the shaft, the shaft spins freely in the housing and I
can't hold the pulley tight enough to get the nut lose.

Any suggestions...

Jasco,

Place whatever size wrench on the nut. Preferably, use the one with
the longest handle. Hold the shaft with one hand and use a deadblow hammer
on the wrench. Remember you must hit it quickly and with lots of force.
Don't worry that it spins a little. This should do the trick. Another
thing you might try is using is the impact wrench that you use with a
hammer. it's inexpensive and sears used to sell them in 2/8 drive. They
also have an attachments for different screw tips. like slotted and
Phillips.

Jeb