Old 26-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Ray

Default Lawn Aeration, how many passes ?

I'm planning on renting a core aerator and my question is how many passes of
the lawn should I make.

I believe the cores are spaced about 3 inches apart at the cylinder. Do I
overlap the aerator so the cores are spaced apart 1 and half inches or will
3 inches do the job.

TIA,
Ray

Old 26-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Timothy

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:30:25 -0500, Ray wrote:

I'm planning on renting a core aerator and my question is how many passes of
the lawn should I make.

I believe the cores are spaced about 3 inches apart at the cylinder. Do I
overlap the aerator so the cores are spaced apart 1 and half inches or will
3 inches do the job.

Good day Ray. I'd say if your lawn is not overly compacted run it once. If
there is a good deal of compaction or your lawn is heavy clay run it
twice. After your done you may wish to spread sand over the lawn to fill
in the holes. If you have heavy clay, do not do this or you'll make
concrete. I personally preferr finely ground compost as a top dressing.
Top dressing is not required though.
Have fun aerating.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington

Old 26-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Peter H

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm planning on renting a core aerator and my question is how many passes

of
the lawn should I make.

I believe the cores are spaced about 3 inches apart at the cylinder. Do I
overlap the aerator so the cores are spaced apart 1 and half inches or

will
3 inches do the job.

TIA,
Ray

There are different types of aerators Ray. The number of passes will depend
on the machine.
Be careful though. Aeration is a spring and fall application. You run the
risk of damaging your lawn if the weather is too hot when it's done. You
will be opening up the root system to the heat and sunlight.

The Ryan brand of aerator is a good quality machine. Check for broken/
missing tines before you rent it.

Peter H