Old 27-06-2003, 03:32 AM
GRL

Default Where to buy those cloth blankets for new lawn planting?

A few years ago I bought a couple of those thin white cloth-like woven
sheets (like Tyvek, but not Tyvek) ~ 9' x 9' that are sold as a substitute
for straw for use when one is planting a new section of lawn. These things
work great. They diffuse but don't black sun-light, keep moisture in, and
keep the birds out, and when the lawn starts to grow, you just pull the
cloth up and store it for the next use. Only thing is the cloth is fragile
and eventually tears.

I'd like to buy more of these cloths, but the store I bought mine at no
longer sells them and I can't find another source. The local garden supply
store guy knows of them, but his store does not sell them. I can't even
remember what the things are called.

Anyone know where to get these things or what they are called?

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)

Old 29-06-2003, 10:08 PM
GRL

"GRL" wrote in message ...
A few years ago I bought a couple of those thin white cloth-like woven
sheets (like Tyvek, but not Tyvek) ~ 9' x 9' that are sold as a substitute
for straw for use when one is planting a new section of lawn. These things
work great. They diffuse but don't black sun-light, keep moisture in, and
keep the birds out, and when the lawn starts to grow, you just pull the
cloth up and store it for the next use. Only thing is the cloth is fragile
and eventually tears.

I'd like to buy more of these cloths, but the store I bought mine at no
longer sells them and I can't find another source. The local garden supply
store guy knows of them, but his store does not sell them. I can't even
remember what the things are called.

Anyone know where to get these things or what they are called?

I found that the name of the product is Grass-Fast! and Menards sells
it for $4.98 for a 10'x15' section. Lowes sells a more durable looking
variation that looks like thin green woven polypropylene matting in 4'
x 20' strips for $11.50.