GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawn Sprinklers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/35077-lawn-sprinklers.html)

GSX 01-07-2003 01:20 PM

Lawn Sprinklers

Before I even tell my wife I'm thinking of putting in lawn sprinklers...does
anyone have a rough estimate on how much systems costs?

The area I want to have sprinklered is about 8,000 square feet. I live in
CT.

Thanks for any advice or info!

[email protected] 01-07-2003 02:08 PM

Lawn Sprinklers

I'm pricing it out right now.
My neighbor just got his quote: $3300.

He's got a .5 acre lot, and a fairly small house.

I'm still waiting for the guy to come measure and give me a quote, but
I have about 50,000 sq ft of lawn. Another neighbor has about the
same lawn as me, and his irrigation system was under $6k.

The landscaper told me I would need 40psi, 16 gallons per minute ( we
are on well water), so I'll have to upgrade my pump and possibly my
tank. But if you already have the pressure and flow you need, all you
have to pay for is the system.

Get several quotes! There are plenty of guys who will quote double
the "right" price, thinking you won't know any better.

Victor Grund 01-07-2003 08:08 PM

Lawn Sprinklers

In my area (Boston suburbs), installation prices soar in the Spring when
demand is highest. I saved quite a bit by purchasing a system in early July
last year.

Victor

[email protected] 01-07-2003 08:33 PM

Lawn Sprinklers

Around here, the irrigation systems are all installed by landscapers.
They're busy whether it's putting in irrigation or spraying lawns, so
they don't have motivation to drop prices.

Victor Grund 02-07-2003 01:03 AM

Lawn Sprinklers

What a shame! In my area several companies specialize in irrigation, which
is nice from availability & skills perspectives. I don't know what they do
for revenue in the winter season...

Victor

Ponyboy 03-07-2003 02:23 AM

Lawn Sprinklers

I install sprinkler systems with a buddy and if you have a lot of flowers
and driveways to go under, that takes a factor in cost. Also if you have
areas with a lot of roots to put some sprinkler heads, that adds to cost
also in case of machine damage. If you dont have a lot of obstacles and
flowers, an average size lot about 55 by 130 would possibly be around 2 to
3000 in Detroit Michigan area. But Ive seen some lots cost a lot more.

Chet Hayes 03-07-2003 02:44 PM

Lawn Sprinklers

That sounds about right. I had about a 10000 sqft lawn, and 1 bed, 7
zones, of average difficulty, done here in NJ for about $2300 5 years
ago.

GamePlayer No. 1058 03-07-2003 04:56 PM

Lawn Sprinklers

Holy Cow, Im glad I did mine myself.

Total cost of about $400.00

rented a trencher to lay the pipes for me, this covers my front lawn, 2
flowerbeds, 1 rose garden on 3 different zones. Been in the yard now for
about 3 years with no problems. If you think about it, that means that my
cost of 400.00 was almost all parts, with the exception of the trencher
layer thing that we rented for the day, which I dont remember how much that
was. So I guess the rest between doing it myself and others paying for it,
must be pure labor (give or take for the size of different lawns)

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
: That sounds about right. I had about a 10000 sqft lawn, and 1 bed, 7
: zones, of average difficulty, done here in NJ for about $2300 5 years
: ago.
:
:
:
:
:
:
: "Ponyboy" wrote in message
: I install sprinkler systems with a buddy and if you have a lot of
flowers
: and driveways to go under, that takes a factor in cost. Also if you have
: areas with a lot of roots to put some sprinkler heads, that adds to cost
: also in case of machine damage. If you dont have a lot of obstacles and
: flowers, an average size lot about 55 by 130 would possibly be around 2
: 3000 in Detroit Michigan area. But Ive seen some lots cost a lot more.
: ...

[email protected] 03-07-2003 06:15 PM

Lawn Sprinklers

On 3 Jul 2003 05:42:33 -0700, (Chet Hayes)
wrote:

That sounds about right. I had about a 10000 sqft lawn, and 1 bed, 7
zones, of average difficulty, done here in NJ for about $2300 5 years
ago.

And how does your grass look?

My neighbor's is deep green, and we haven't had any rain.
Meanwhile, the rest of us are dragging hoses around all day just to
maintain a greenish-brown.

Chet Hayes 03-07-2003 09:44 PM

Lawn Sprinklers

You're comparing apples to oranges. My system is 7 zones, with 3
heads per zone, covering about 10,000 sq ft. A decent rotor head is
about $18 retail, which comes out to $378 just for the heads. Then
you have a controller, rain sensor, anti-backflow valve (you did
install one I hope), 30 ft of 1" copper pipe run inside, plastic pipe,
wire, distribution valves/boxes, eqpt costs, etc. Between the house
and the lawn is a horseshoe shaped driveway that has to be crossed 3
times to get to all the areas.

No question like everything else you can save money by doing it
yourself. However having the right eqpt and experience for the job,
including getting under sidewalks, driveways, etc. is certainly worth
something.

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message ...
Holy Cow, Im glad I did mine myself.

Total cost of about $400.00

rented a trencher to lay the pipes for me, this covers my front lawn, 2
flowerbeds, 1 rose garden on 3 different zones. Been in the yard now for
about 3 years with no problems. If you think about it, that means that my
cost of 400.00 was almost all parts, with the exception of the trencher
layer thing that we rented for the day, which I dont remember how much that
was. So I guess the rest between doing it myself and others paying for it,
must be pure labor (give or take for the size of different lawns)

om...
: "Ponyboy" wrote in message
: I install sprinkler systems with a buddy and if you have a lot of
flowers
: and driveways to go under, that takes a factor in cost. Also if you have
: areas with a lot of roots to put some sprinkler heads, that adds to cost
: also in case of machine damage. If you dont have a lot of obstacles and
: flowers, an average size lot about 55 by 130 would possibly be around 2
: 3000 in Detroit Michigan area. But Ive seen some lots cost a lot more.
: ...

GamePlayer No. 1058 04-07-2003 06:08 PM

Lawn Sprinklers

I agree, but getting under driveways and sidewalks is childs play. I've
done it here, they sell a simple pvc end cap, that you put onto a length of
pvc pipe and let water pressure dig the hole. I did it under my front
walkway, and again under my driveway. Perhaps I just got lucky, but it came
out straight the first time I tried it, and was really simple. Total price
for the head adapter $5.95

Yes you've got more lawn to do then I do Chet, but I didnt specifically mean
mine compared to yours, but just in general, when my sod layer came out they
wanted to charge me an additional $1800.00 to put in a sprinkler system. I
told him I would take care of it myself and add on to what I had already
established. He told me my layout was inadequate and my new lawn would dry
up and die. Whatever! Meanwhile my lawn is green as can be, assuming I
could be bothered to actually turn on the sprinkler system. Yes there is
one small corner of my lawn that turns brown, right next to the drive way,
and that was my bad, I hadnt considered the wind factor up here in the
mountain when originally starting my sprinkler system, so on some days when
I used to have the sprinklers come on on our timer, if it was windy, then
the water wouldnt get to that corner of the grass, if I had to do it over
again, I would move the sprinkler in question to that corner and let it
spray out with the wind. But since Im selling this house anyway, it's
rather a mute point.

Oh by the way, Toro rotary style heads are only like $11.00, I've had a
couple of them in the ground since day one, never once had a problem. Well,
with the exception of when I got my new rider mower and attempted to scalp
the lawn, and ended up demolishing one head, but took all of 30 minutes to
dig slightly around the head and unscrew it from the pipe in the ground and
screw in a new one. Point is, that I didnt use $18.00 heads, but rather
$11.00 heads and are now switching them over to an even cheaper head by
rainbird, that has multiple spray holes to get more even coverage without
losing any throw distance.

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
[...]
: "Chet Hayes" wrote in message
: om...
: : That sounds about right. I had about a 10000 sqft lawn, and 1 bed, 7
: : zones, of average difficulty, done here in NJ for about $2300 5 years
: : ago.
: :
: :
: :
: :
: :
: :
: : "Ponyboy" wrote in message
: ...
: : I install sprinkler systems with a buddy and if you have a lot of
: flowers
: : and driveways to go under, that takes a factor in cost. Also if you
have
: : areas with a lot of roots to put some sprinkler heads, that adds to
cost
: : also in case of machine damage. If you dont have a lot of obstacles
and
: : flowers, an average size lot about 55 by 130 would possibly be
around 2
: : 3000 in Detroit Michigan area. But Ive seen some lots cost a lot
more.
: : ...