Old 13-07-2003, 02:44 PM
M. Osborn

Default Lawn Tractor Questions

I'm getting ready to buy a new lawn tractor for our .6 acre lot in
Charlotte, NC.

Initially, I thought for sure I'd buy a new John Deere L110 at Home Depot
for $1799. It looks like a good unit, and they are advertising their mowing
deck to be better for reducing the grass buildup underneath it. It's a 17.5
HP mower.

Then, I stopped at Sears to see what they had. The salesman there was
touting their DLT 3000 tractors as better than the John Deere units.

A couple of questions he

1. Any opinions on the quality of the Sears DLT 3000 tractors vs. the John
Deere L110?

2. I see the DLT 3000 tractor comes in 3 "flavors"....(a) 25HP B&S V-Twin,
(b) 20HP Kohler Pro, and (c) 16.5HP Honda V-Twin (which also has cruise
control). Oddly enough, the smallest engine (Honda) costs more than the
largest engine (B&S). Any opinions on which of the three is best?

Thanks....

Old 13-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Chris

Why do you want a lawn tractor for a yard that size? Do you have a physical
disability that you cannot walk? Is the lawn such a steep grade it is to
hard to push? It is a waste of money on a yard that small a push mower might
take an hour to mow. Get a good push mower maybe even a self propelled if
you need it. Get one of the rear wheel drive with the caster wheels in the
front. I have an 80 year old grandmother who push mows a lawn bigger than
that and I am not joking.

Old 13-07-2003, 04:44 PM
M. Osborn

"Chris" wrote in message
| Why do you want a lawn tractor for a yard that size? Do you have a
physical
| disability that you cannot walk? Is the lawn such a steep grade it is to
| hard to push? It is a waste of money on a yard that small a push mower
might
| take an hour to mow. Get a good push mower maybe even a self propelled if
| you need it. Get one of the rear wheel drive with the caster wheels in the
| front. I have an 80 year old grandmother who push mows a lawn bigger than
| that and I am not joking.
|
| "M. Osborn" wrote in message
| I'm getting ready to buy a new lawn tractor for our .6 acre lot in
| Charlotte, NC.
|
| Initially, I thought for sure I'd buy a new John Deere L110 at Home
Depot
| for $1799. It looks like a good unit, and they are advertising their
| mowing
| deck to be better for reducing the grass buildup underneath it. It's a
| 17.5
| HP mower.
|
| Then, I stopped at Sears to see what they had. The salesman there was
| touting their DLT 3000 tractors as better than the John Deere units.
|
| A couple of questions he
|
| 1. Any opinions on the quality of the Sears DLT 3000 tractors vs. the
| John
| Deere L110?
|
| 2. I see the DLT 3000 tractor comes in 3 "flavors"....(a) 25HP B&S
| V-Twin,
| (b) 20HP Kohler Pro, and (c) 16.5HP Honda V-Twin (which also has cruise
| control). Oddly enough, the smallest engine (Honda) costs more than the
| largest engine (B&S). Any opinions on which of the three is best?
|
| Thanks....

Very helpful, Chris....thanks.

Old 13-07-2003, 04:44 PM

"Chris" wrote:
Why do you want a lawn tractor for a yard that size? Do you have a
physical disability that you cannot walk? Is the lawn such a steep grade
it is to hard to push? It is a waste of money on a yard that small a push
mower might take an hour to mow. Get a good push mower maybe even a self
propelled if you need it. Get one of the rear wheel drive with the caster
wheels in the front. I have an 80 year old grandmother who push mows a
lawn bigger than that and I am not joking.

Your 80 year old grandma push mows over 22,000 sq ft of lawn?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 13-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Chris

Yes she does, she has lived on a farm all of her life. She has been mowing
the lawn at her current home since she was 60

Old 14-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Peter H

"Chris" wrote in message
Yes she does, she has lived on a farm all of her life. She has been mowing
the lawn at her current home since she was 60

So this means that we all have to use a push mower as well?

Back to the original question. I don't know anything about the Sears model,
but I hear people swear by the Deere's.

Peter H

Old 14-07-2003, 01:52 AM
M. Osborn

"Peter H" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

| "Chris" wrote in message
| Yes she does, she has lived on a farm all of her life. She has been
mowing
| the lawn at her current home since she was 60
|

| So this means that we all have to use a push mower as well?
|
| Back to the original question. I don't know anything about the Sears
model,
| but I hear people swear by the Deere's.
|
| Peter H

Peter,

Thanks for the input....that's kinda the type I was looking for.

Regarding Chris's grandmother, maybe she'd cut my grass, too, and I wouldn't
need the mower at all?

Old 14-07-2003, 02:32 AM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:38:17 -0400, "M. Osborn"
wrote:

[...]

I have the L120 and so far its been great, only have 25 hours on it
though. I mow 3 acres, it does a great job. I got the grass catcher
with it and that also has worked out real well.
Dont know about the sears.

Old 14-07-2003, 02:44 AM

"M. Osborn" wrote:
Regarding Chris's grandmother, maybe she'd cut my grass, too, and I
wouldn't need the mower at all?

I want some of her vitamins.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 14-07-2003, 03:32 AM
JJ

I would lean towards the Deere, assuming there is a Deere dealer near you
that will service it should you need service. Occasionally, I have heard of
Deere dealers who have issues with servicing equipment bought at HD.

But I'm partial to Deere. The DLT line at Sears (actually made by AYP, a
division of Electrolux of Sweden) is not bad.

Sears likes to put (or have AYP put) mega horsepower engines on their
tractors - far more than anyone really needs. It's mostly a sales gimmick.
You don't need 25HP to cut grass. My JD LX277 has a 17HP Kawasaki engine
and I cut and mulch 2 acres with no problems, and I can haul a cart and blow
snow. Take a look at the Deere web site, at their higher end lawn or garden
tractors (LX, GT, and GX series) - none of them have 25HP engines. And the
GT and GX series are garden tractors (meaning they accept ground engaging
equipment like tillers).

But if I were buying the DLT, I would lean towards the Honda engine. Not
that there is anything wrong with the B&S and Kohler. But I have a relative
in the landscaping business and he says Honda engines are top notch.

Old 14-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Die Spammer !!!

why did you repost your original message again m. osborn ?

Old 14-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Die Spammer !!!

why did you repost your original message again m. osborn ?