Old 27-07-2003, 05:12 AM
Joel Downey

Default better Japanes beetle trap

Here is something for everyone who likes the performance and results
achieved with commercially available Japanese beetle traps but hates the
smell that the bags take on after a few days. No more smell. No more bags
to buy.

http://home.insightbb.com/~downeyjf

Check it out. I have written a bunch of stuff about North Central Indiana's
(Kokomo, to be exact) beetle season so far, including how the traps work,
what srategies work for me, and how well traps attract (or don't) beetles
that might be in my neighbors yards. I have included about 20 pictures of
traps, lures and trees so you can judge for yourself. E-mail me with
questions if you have them. I'll be happy to tell you what I've seen.

Joel

Old 27-07-2003, 05:22 AM

"Joel Downey" wrote:
-snip-
Would Insight Broadband call this spam?

--
GO# 40
Old 27-07-2003, 06:22 AM
Joel Downey

OK, I guess I don't know what the issue is here, but I'm beginning no to
like this guy. Man, what is your problem? I am trying to relay information
to folks who could use it. There is lots of useful information on my site
concerning Japanese beetle and control, despite what you think about the
traps. It's all there, and available without having to buy anything. If
they do then OK, but I didn't place an order for them as soon as they get
there. The information on my site is basically on on-going experiment that
everyone can watch and come to their own conclusions. One thing that I
forgot to mention in the other thread is that I believe, but don't have data
to back it up, that my trap method might be more effective than others on
the market, due to the significant reduction in odor given off by the dead
beetles. Which, of course you knew was a beetle repellant. If so, then the
data generated by the experiment you reference doesn't apply, does it?
However since this is the first full year of application, I won't know until
I can run some further experiments with other traps in a controlled
experiment. But for you to dismiss it out-of-hand shows a lack of
understanding of basic scientific principles.

Sorry to go on the offensive but in my estimation it needed to be done. I'm
trying my best to show others what I've done to stop Japanese beetles from
ruining my peach trees. If they want to try it, great, if not, still
great. If I've come up with something that works better than other stuff
on the market, so be it. If it gets patented (an application has been
filed), it will be the 11th I've received, so I have a little experience
with coming up with ideas no one else has.

For what that's worth. BTW, I'd be interested in the credentials you have
that give you any authority in the discussion. Experiences you've had,
papers you've written, experiments you've run, things like that.

JD

Old 27-07-2003, 01:32 PM

"Joel Downey" wrote:
OK, I guess I don't know what the issue is here, but I'm beginning no to
like this guy.

Would Insight Broadband call this spam?

I don't care if you like me or not, answer the question. Or should
I ask insight myself?

--
GO# 40
Old 27-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Joel Downey

No No, Oh please, please don't call insight. That would terrify me!!!!!

Webster defines SPAM as: " Date: 1994: unsolicited usually commercial
E-mail sent to a large number of addresses". So, by definition, this is not
SPAM. I posted it to a news group. I did not e-mail it to a large number
of addresses. It may be in violation of one of Insight's newsgroup
policies, but I doubt it. However, it is not SPAM, at least by Webster's
definition. Have I answered your question?? If you still have a problem
with it, contact Insight and find out if it is a problem. No one is forced
to go to the website, no one is forced to even read the post. For you to
basically attack me for having an opinion different from yours is low, even
for a Mopar guy.

I set up my website through Insight. I set up my catalog through them as
well, with tools they provided. So posting about a website on their server
would be OK, I would think. But, one never knows. So if you want to get
the post canceled for being spam, knock youself out.

JD

Old 27-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Tom J

"Joel Downey" wrote in message
. net...

I set up my website through Insight. I set up my catalog through them as
well, with tools they provided. So posting about a website on their server
would be OK, I would think. But, one never knows. So if you want to get
the post canceled for being spam, knock youself out.

The only thing you haven't taken into consideration in your tirades is the
fact the this newsgroup, along with thousands of others do not allow
commercial post, and I suspect your provider will soon make you painfully
aware of your intrusions on such groups. I don't think you are going to like
the outcome.

Tom J

Old 27-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Pilcher

Tom J wrote:

The only thing you haven't taken into consideration in your tirades is the
fact the this newsgroup, along with thousands of others do not allow
commercial post, and I suspect your provider will soon make you painfully
aware of your intrusions on such groups. I don't think you are going to like
the outcome.

Thge only things worse than people who advertise here are people who
think they are net cops.

Old 27-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Joel Downey

Tom,

I'm sorry but I did not realize that this was prohibited. If so, then I
will not post concerning any commercial ventures in the future. Thanks for
bringing it to my attention. A simple note such as "You might want to
reconsider commercial postings. Most newsgroups prohibit them" would have
been to the point and much less inflamatory. This is in reference to the
SPAM question. One thing I have found to be quite annoying about newsgroups
and the web in general is the lack of common courtesy. If I had been
informed in a more polite manner, I might have considered the advice instead
of reacting the way I did.

BTW, I did post concerning the website in early June and never was
reprimanded. I guess they must have missed it??

Again, thanks.

Joel

Old 28-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Tom J

"Pilcher" nospam.com wrote in message

Tom J wrote:

The only thing you haven't taken into consideration in your tirades is the
fact the this newsgroup, along with thousands of others do not allow
commercial post, and I suspect your provider will soon make you painfully
aware of your intrusions on such groups. I don't think you are going to

like
the outcome.

Thge only things worse than people who advertise here are people who
think they are net cops.

I'm not a net cop!! I was merely informing him there were other considerations
for continuing to do commercial post to non-commercial newsgroups. I don't
have to be the cop because others always take care of the notifications, as
has already been mentioned. I attempted to save him problems with the location
of his site, which may already be too late.

Tom J

Old 28-07-2003, 12:03 AM

Pilcher nospam.com wrote:
Tom J wrote:

The only thing you haven't taken into consideration in your tirades is
the fact the this newsgroup, along with thousands of others do not
allow commercial post, and I suspect your provider will soon make you
painfully aware of your intrusions on such groups. I don't think you
are going to like the outcome.

Thge only things worse than people who advertise here are people who
think they are net cops.

How do you deal with usenet spam?

--
GO# 40

Old 29-07-2003, 04:42 PM
NC_FUBAR

I generally PLONK the sender. And despite this guys comments there
is little information at his site on Japanese Beetles other than how
to build his trap using his clip-jointer. However, believe duct tape
would work just as well and I already have some of that.

Lee