Old 21-08-2003, 04:12 AM
zxcvar

Default St. Augustine grass

Greetings! What is the advantage of planting St. Augustine grass over
Bermuda grass? How can one kill St. Augustine grass? My neoghbour has
St. Augustine grass which is infiltraing my lawn of Bermuda grass.
With thanks.
Old 21-08-2003, 06:03 AM
~chilly

"zxcvar" wrote in message

How can one kill St. Augustine grass? My neoghbour has
St. Augustine grass which is infiltraing my lawn of Bermuda grass.
***********

1st - any number of weed and grass killers can eliminate st aug, some
fertilizers as well. Spray the invading with your choice, just ask a local
nursery.

2nd - use your edger to cut a line between you and your neighbors lawn, this
will weaken the st aug runners and cause it to die.

3rd - use a tine rake and rake out the st aug runner from your grass, so
that it won't try to take up root. Once out, overseed with more bermuda, as
it will choke out the st aug after a few years, (if in direct sun) -- st aug
will overtake in shady areas

good luck

Old 27-08-2003, 04:03 AM
lois

I suspect the neighbor is having even more trouble with bermuda getting
into their lawn as it seeds and they blow, and the runners sneak below
the St A., attach harder to the soil and are quite difficult to remove
with a crown that has to be dug rather than pulled.

St Augustine is easily edged - a gas model edger is easier if its a
distance from an electric outlet. And the grass pulls out easily

Bermuda is harder because it can travel deep underground- so you night
need one with a bit larger blade.