Old 24-08-2003, 05:22 PM
m olofson

Default Uneven grass height after mowing with my new Toro Recycler??-Suggestions Please??

I was looking to replace my old mower with a newer self-propelled 3 in
1 unit. After doing some research I decided on a Toro Recycler. Though
it was a little more than I wanted to spend, after looking into some
of the problems some have had with self-propelled mulchers, I didn't
want to cheap out.

I just purchased a new Toro Recycler yesterday. After mowing(mulching)
I find the grass height to be very uneven. I have tried going slow and
this has not helped. I am overlapping quite a bit and this has still
not corrected the problem. I am forced to mow the lawn twice and it
still does not look near as good as my 14 year old entry level
Craftsman side bagger. I don't think I am doing anything wrong. The
grass is not long when I cut it,(I am only cutting about an inch
off)and I wait until the grass is dry. The deck is also clean
underneath, as well the wheels are all set at the same height. The
only thing I can see is that either the blade is dull(new?), or the
design is no good (not enough lift). I don't think that is the problem
as no one else seems to be complaining about this highly rated mower.

If the blade is not the problem, I may upgrade to the Super Recycler,
but I don't want to waste my time or my Toro dealer's if this unit is
not any better.

I may have to go back to bagging it which is unfortunate as the
recycler seemed to do a grat job of mulching.
Old 26-08-2003, 06:04 AM
Bob

"m olofson" wrote in message
m...
I just purchased a new Toro Recycler yesterday. After mowing(mulching)
I find the grass height to be very uneven.

I have had a toro recycler for a number of years. Indeed, it does not have
much suction. It does not lift the grass hardly at all. After a season of
using it, I get grass growing from long horizontal stems. If you rake it
with a lifting motion, some stems with stand up 6-9". I frequently mow with
a snapper bagger to lift the grass and cut some of these stems. Of course,
sometimes it will grab a bunch of the stems, and leave a "scalped" area
which then appears yellow. I talked to toro about the problem, and they
basically said "that's the way it is".

Bob

Old 26-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Chet Hayes

Can't comment on the toro, but if you decide to take it back, I highly
recommend the Honda Harmony mowers. I've had one of the convertible
bag/mulchers for about 5 years and it's the best mower I've ever seen.
I always use it to mulch. There was a thread on here recently where
several other posters had similar experiences.

m...

Old 30-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Bill Nunnery

Is your lawn relatively level? I am not familiar with the deck size of that
mower but large deck mowers tend to scalp the high spots on uneven lawns.

m...

Old 01-10-2003, 01:54 AM
daleboyd

I too have the Recycler 20017 and am generally pleased with it mowing on the
level.

I did notice in the directions on the website that if you were unhappy with
the mowing, you could lower the front two wheels by one notch as well as the
other things you have mentioned.

I have not tried it since I am happy with the mower.

I am unhappy with something that has happened the last two times I have
mowed the lawn.

Suddenly is blowing oil from somewhere on top of the engine leaving a black
film of oil on top of the deck. I have not overfilled the crankcase but it
is now slightly using (or blowing oil) from somewhere. At least it is under
warranty so I'll take it back to the dealer after the season for them to
check/repair the engine.

It really does a good job mowing and I especially like the ability to use a
back bag or side discharge. I have used both and they work well.

"Bill Nunnery" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Is your lawn relatively level? I am not familiar with the deck size of

that
mower but large deck mowers tend to scalp the high spots on uneven lawns.

m...

Old 01-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Phrederik

"Bill Nunnery" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Is your lawn relatively level? I am not familiar with the deck size of

that
mower but large deck mowers tend to scalp the high spots on uneven lawns.

"m olofson" wrote in message
m...
I was looking to replace my old mower with a newer self-propelled 3 in
1 unit. After doing some research I decided on a Toro Recycler. Though
it was a little more than I wanted to spend, after looking into some
of the problems some have had with self-propelled mulchers, I didn't
want to cheap out.

I just purchased a new Toro Recycler yesterday. After mowing(mulching)
I find the grass height to be very uneven. I have tried going slow and
this has not helped. I am overlapping quite a bit and this has still
not corrected the problem.

Is the blade on upside down by chance???

Old 02-10-2003, 06:05 AM
Mistercmk

"Phrederik" wrote in message
"Bill Nunnery" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Is your lawn relatively level? I am not familiar with the deck size of

that
mower but large deck mowers tend to scalp the high spots on uneven

lawns.

"m olofson" wrote in message
m...
I was looking to replace my old mower with a newer self-propelled 3 in
1 unit. After doing some research I decided on a Toro Recycler. Though
it was a little more than I wanted to spend, after looking into some
of the problems some have had with self-propelled mulchers, I didn't
want to cheap out.

I just purchased a new Toro Recycler yesterday. After mowing(mulching)
I find the grass height to be very uneven. I have tried going slow and
this has not helped. I am overlapping quite a bit and this has still
not corrected the problem.

Is the blade on upside down by chance???

Not with the Toro Recycler mowers. There is only one way that the blade
will go on. I thought the same thing when my toro had problems, but the
blade will only go on the right way.

Broken Toro height adjustment spring/lever jaxnd Lawns 1 23-05-2010 03:29 PM
Uneven growth of new lawn tenplay Gardening 0 17-05-2006 10:45 PM
New grass seed - thin, and ground getting uneven! Airkings Gardening 1 11-06-2005 01:40 AM
Uneven grass Steve Lawns 8 20-09-2004 01:15 AM
Uneven grass height after mowing with my new Toro Recycler??-Suggestions Jim Gilliland Lawns 0 24-08-2003 08:22 PM