GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Looking for a Child/Pet safe fertilizer weed care. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/41824-looking-child-pet-safe-fertilizer-weed-care.html)

John T McDougald 01-09-2003 01:22 AM

Looking for a Child/Pet safe fertilizer weed care.

I have been reviewing the Scott's plan for my area, Central Florida. I
have for the most part a combination og Bahia and St Augustine but I think I
have at least one other variety or more mixed into my lawn. I was looking
at using the MaxGaurd fertilizer on my lawn but I have a dog that likes to
run around in the back yard and in December, my first child will be born so
I have a couple of years to get the yard ready for football, baseball and
the like with the little one.
My delima is that I know that fertilizer/ poisons are going to have
warnings but is there something out there that is better than Scott's or
Ortho?

Thanks
John T McD.

Peter H 01-09-2003 02:32 PM

"John T McDougald" John wrote in message
I have been reviewing the Scott's plan for my area, Central Florida.

have for the most part a combination og Bahia and St Augustine but I think

have at least one other variety or more mixed into my lawn. I was looking
at using the MaxGaurd fertilizer on my lawn but I have a dog that likes to
run around in the back yard and in December, my first child will be born

so
I have a couple of years to get the yard ready for football, baseball and
the like with the little one.
My delima is that I know that fertilizer/ poisons are going to have
warnings but is there something out there that is better than Scott's or
Ortho?

Thanks
John T McD.

I haven't checked in a while, but the last time I looked there were no "
poison" signs on a bag of fertilizer. Fertilizer is made from nitrogen,
phosphorous and potassium. These substances are all contained in your soil,
to lesser degrees, before the fert is applied.

There is potentially "some" danger when you get into the newer "organic"
products. In my opinion these products are very poorly regulated and I would
stay away from them. I would never spread sewer sludge or the like on a lawn
where children play. Stick to the what they now call " synthetic "
fertilizers and you will be fine.

When it comes to weed control you should be aware of a couple of things.
Firstly there are some kids who are allergic to it. From personal experience
I suspect the numbers to be less than 1 in 1,000, but they do exist.
Secondly, contrary to what the " environmentalists " will tell you the
product will biodegrade very quickly on your lawn. 2 weeks after application
it is unlikely that any evidence of the product could be found.

You can have both a safe and good looking lawn John and your kids can have
years of fun playing on it.

Good luck with it.

Peter H

John T McDougald 03-09-2003 12:12 PM

Looking for a Child/Pet safe fertilizer weed care.

Thanks Peter for the Info. The problem with the stuff I'm looking at
starting with is that it's a combination fertilizer with insect control.
It's called MaxGuard from Scott's They seem to have the largest selection
from the big box hardware stores around my area. I am trying to get my lawn
under control and bring it into some since of decency. The people who owned
the house prior to me did little more than mow the yard for the last 9 years
prior so I have alot of work ahead of me.
My problem is that most of the fertilizers and treatments I need for my
lawn would include insect and pest control. I need to find something that's
not quite so risky to use since my dog likes to run around in the back yard.

John T McD

Die Spammer !!!! 05-09-2003 09:52 AM

Looking for a Child/Pet safe fertilizer weed care.

not quite so risky to use since my dog likes to run around in the back yard.

John T McD

female dog? female dogs will burn the lawn... the best thing to do is to
hand pull the weeds and keep the soil damp and cut weekly to get the grass to
grow in full and help squeeze out the weeds

Peter H 05-09-2003 01:35 PM

"Die Spammer !!!!" wrote in message
not quite so risky to use since my dog likes to run around in the back

yard.

John T McD

female dog? female dogs will burn the lawn... the best thing to do is

hand pull the weeds and keep the soil damp and cut weekly to get the grass

grow in full and help squeeze out the weeds

This is one of the biggest fallacies in turf management. I used to use the
this myself to sell programs, but after a few years in the business realized
that it just isn't true. A thick healthy, lawn will only crowd out weeds for
a season or two at best. What it really does is attract bugs, which will
create bare patches, which will immediately fill in with weeds.

If you are going to have a full, thick lawn be prepared to defend it as
well. If anyone tells you that you can hand-pull the weeds and keep it in
top shape w/out pesticides either they are lying to you or they just don't
know what they are talking about.

Peter H

[email protected] 06-09-2003 12:12 AM

Looking for a Child/Pet safe fertilizer weed care.

"Greg Rice" wrote:
And... in Florida, there is a host of critters.

I live in central Florida also, (I lived here for 47 years) and you need
to treat the yard for bugs at least twice a year (some people do it
monthly) The insecticides are "safe" usually once they are dry, if you
use a liquid spray. However, read the label, and be aware if it rains the
next day. I use the dry pellets myself.

Yes sir..for example, we have two generations of chinch bug here
in Ohio. Florida has at least six generations.

I'd have to go back to turf school before I moved to Fla. ;)

--
GO #40

[email protected] 06-09-2003 12:12 AM

"Peter H" wrote:
[...]

Yep, tree huggers do not have nice lawns..or houses or cars..etc

--
GO #40