Old 05-09-2003, 02:41 AM
Frank K.

Default Stump removal

I recently had two apple trees cut down. The stumps were cut as low as the
chain saw would allow. Other than renting a stump grinder at about $120 for
4 hours, what are my other options to get rid of them.

One stump is about 6 inches in diameter and is not a big problem. The other
is about 14 inches in diameter, but an area about 36 inches in diameter
raises to about 4 to 6 inches above the surrounding area.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

--
Frank

Old 05-09-2003, 03:11 AM
Spook

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:27:27 -0400, "Frank K."
wrote:

I recently had two apple trees cut down. The stumps were cut as low as the
chain saw would allow. Other than renting a stump grinder at about $120 for
4 hours, what are my other options to get rid of them.

One stump is about 6 inches in diameter and is not a big problem. The other
is about 14 inches in diameter, but an area about 36 inches in diameter
raises to about 4 to 6 inches above the surrounding area.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

http://www.gardenpower.com/projects/tree/99042.htm

http://www.bonideproducts.com/labels/pdf/stump-out.pdf

I've used Bonide Stump Out. Rots the stump and then you can burn or
dig it out with ease.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:24 AM

"Frank K." wrote:
I recently had two apple trees cut down. The stumps were cut as low as
the chain saw would allow. Other than renting a stump grinder at about
$120 for 4 hours, what are my other options to get rid of them.

One stump is about 6 inches in diameter and is not a big problem. The
other is about 14 inches in diameter, but an area about 36 inches in
diameter raises to about 4 to 6 inches above the surrounding area.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

You're looking for the cheap out. As was mentioned, drill some holes
in to it, them and pour in the stump out. That approach takes -much-
longer.

Stand-by for some mushroom's and toad stools too. ymmv

--
GO #40
Old 14-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Pat Keith

Burning works best at the end of summer when the ground and stump is as dry
as its going to get. I would wait a year or so. I have drilled a hole thru
the stump and used a quarter stick of dynamite to make a hole under the
stump for the charcoal. I have also used a vacuum cleaner to supply air.

Old 14-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Chet Hayes

"Pat Keith" wrote in message ...
Burning works best at the end of summer when the ground and stump is as dry
as its going to get. I would wait a year or so. I have drilled a hole thru
the stump and used a quarter stick of dynamite to make a hole under the
stump for the charcoal. I have also used a vacuum cleaner to supply air.

Aye carumba! For me stumps fall into two categories. One is they
are out of the way, in which case I let them rot. If they are not,
then I just pay a tree service to grind them down, which is quick and
doesn't cost very much. How much is your time worth to be tending
fires for multiple days, digging and drilling holes, dynamite, etc?

Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 08:32 PM
Above-ground Stump removal ideas needed Tony Gardening 37 29-09-2004 06:20 PM
Stump Removal Wanda Too Australia 14 30-01-2004 06:18 AM
tree stump removal Giggles Gardening 6 30-09-2003 04:02 AM
tree stump removal DScott Texas 18 12-09-2003 02:02 PM