Old 10-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Marty Underwood

Default Briggs and Strattion 18hp

Hello everyone,

First time posting here but have read more information than I thought I
would ever need to know, Thanks.

I have a slight (I Hope) problem with an older White lawn tractor model
Cruisematic GT-180. I got this mower from a friend who got it for free. The
gentlemen who gave it to him said he couldn't keep it running so he bought a
new one. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 18hp I Twin.

When I got it the fuel line and fuel filter were shot, replaced. Cleaned the
tank out. I also had to adjust the magneto so I could get spark. I rebuilt
the carb with an Briggs rebuild kit. It had new spark plugs in it.

Once I got all this done it fired right up and I have been using it most of
the summer. However, my problem is this:

If I increase the throttle to where it will cut at a more than crawling
speed it will die immediately and not restart unless I loosen the top of the
carb and let fuel drain out. It then restarts immediately. I have adjusted
the high speed needle valve on the carb many times to recommendations by
mower shops but it only helps a little. The mower runs great except for this
problem. If I hit taller than normal grass say 3.5 inches or bermuda grass
that is 2 inches it will bog down and die with the sympton above. I can
quickly reduce the throttle down to idle to prevent it from stalling.

My guess is it is not delivering enough fuel when it gets to a certain rpm
or load. Many times it will die at half throttle so I don't think it is a
governor issue but I could be wrong. Any ideas as to why this would do this.
I have tried adjusting the idle speed with different settings on the high
speed needle. It is obviously pulling fuel to the carb just not delivering
above a specific range of opertation.

any help would be appreciated for I have been push mowing the last couple of
weeks which is better for my health and even thought about getting a reel
mower. Ah well winter is a coming and I just overseeded and patched areas so
the rider is actually a little to heavy for the lawn right now. I will
probably sell it once I get this problem fixed any how.

thanks
Marty Underwood

Old 30-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Bill Nunnery

Sometimes the governor will cause this kind of problem if it is loose or
damaged. You may also have a sticking float/needle valve or even a float
that doesn't float (sinks). I would vote for the sinking float since you
have to drain the bowl to get it started. Sounds like its flooded. Does
starter fluid start it without draining the bowl?

"Marty Underwood" wrote in message
[...]

Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 18hp - Starter ID Help Historic Aero Lawns 2 20-03-2009 12:03 AM
Chraftsman 18hp. twin fuel problem Rick Lawns 1 23-06-2007 06:43 PM
Chraftsman 18hp. twin fuel problem Rick Lawns 9 22-06-2007 09:55 PM
Murray LT 18hp 40" cut SLM Lawns 1 11-09-2006 12:35 AM
old briggs twin cylinder flathead, this a 16 or 18hp? (pix) dave Lawns 1 21-10-2005 04:26 AM