GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Will lawn killer hurt my tree? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/43483-will-lawn-killer-hurt-my-tree.html)

F Paul 19-09-2003 03:22 PM

Will lawn killer hurt my tree?

I am planning to renew my weedy, troubled lawn by killing the grass
with Round Up Weed and grass Killer, and reseeding. I know that I have
to protect any flowers that are near where I plan to spray. But there
is a tree -- and old 100-foot robust tree with extensive roots --
right in the middle of the lawn. Question: will the weed killer affect
the tree and its root system? If so what can i do to still knock out
the grass, and not harm the tree?

Thanks.

Patch 19-09-2003 03:32 PM

Will lawn killer hurt my tree?

"F Paul" wrote in message
m...
I am planning to renew my weedy, troubled lawn by killing the grass
with Round Up Weed and grass Killer, and reseeding. I know that I have
to protect any flowers that are near where I plan to spray. But there
is a tree -- and old 100-foot robust tree with extensive roots --
right in the middle of the lawn. Question: will the weed killer affect
the tree and its root system? If so what can i do to still knock out
the grass, and not harm the tree?

Thanks.

When we built our new home, the back yard was nothing but waist-high weeds
and lots of trees. I used Roundup and killed all the weeds, but didn't hurt
any trees. I wouldn't spray directly on the trees, but it won't leach into
the soil and get to the roots.

[email protected] 19-09-2003 05:42 PM

(F Paul) wrote:
I am planning to renew my weedy, troubled lawn by killing the grass
with Round Up Weed and grass Killer, and reseeding. I know that I have
to protect any flowers that are near where I plan to spray. But there
is a tree -- and old 100-foot robust tree with extensive roots --
right in the middle of the lawn. Question: will the weed killer affect
the tree and its root system? If so what can i do to still knock out
the grass, and not harm the tree?

Thanks.

You should be fine with roundup, it has almost no soil activity.

BassMr. 19-09-2003 08:14 PM

Will lawn killer hurt my tree?

Roundup will not hurt the tree.If you have areas of the lawn that where
bermuda grass is growing you may want to put roundup down a little heavier
there.