Old 20-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Ken

Default Bahia grass & irrigation

I am building a home in SW Florida and have contracted with the
builder to have bahiagrass sodded. I initially thought it would be a
good idea to have an irrigation system installed as the lot is on a
canal and I can pump water from it at no cost. After speaking to
several sod suppliers, I'm not sure if spending $3k on the irrigation
system and pump is a wise decision. It seems that bahiagrass is
low-maintenance and doesn't require much water. Also, over watering
during the winter months can be promote weed growthl. Does anyone have
any experience with residential use of bahiagrass and/or irrigation of
th same?

Thanks!
Old 24-09-2003, 01:07 AM
CNB

Ken,

I'm not sure about your area, but here in SE GA bahiagrass is a much hated
weed. I can't imagine anyone intentionally planting it in their yard. I
wouldn't call it low maintenance, in fact I'd call it high maintenance,
since it sends up seed heads about 2ft tall every time it rains which are
tough for a mower to digest and look absolutely horrible if you let them go
more than a week without cutting. It also does not cover the ground in a
lush green carpet like St Augustine or Centipede would. It's considered sort
of a "default" grass, because it appears automatically unless you counteract
it with something else. I've had bahiagrass in my yard for 7 years, and I am
currently trying to allow for centipede to take it over. I've never
irrigated it at all. But of course to each his own, and I wish you good luck
with it if thats what you plant.

CNB

Old 24-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Ken

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:56:20 -0400, "CNB"
wrote:

[...]

.. .
I am building a home in SW Florida and have contracted with the
builder to have bahiagrass sodded. I initially thought it would be a
good idea to have an irrigation system installed as the lot is on a
canal and I can pump water from it at no cost. After speaking to
several sod suppliers, I'm not sure if spending $3k on the irrigation
system and pump is a wise decision. It seems that bahiagrass is
low-maintenance and doesn't require much water. Also, over watering
during the winter months can be promote weed growthl. Does anyone have
any experience with residential use of bahiagrass and/or irrigation of
th same?

Thanks!

CNB:

Unfortunately, Bahia is one of the principal lawn grasses here in FL.
The "Argentine" variety produces fewer seed heads and has a more
horizontal growth pattern therefore making it the better choice for
lawns in southern FL. St. Augustine is the other choice. It makes for
a nicer looking lawn, but costs more, requires irrigation, and a
higher level of maintenance.

Ken
Old 28-09-2003, 02:25 AM
lois

If you have neighbors, put in the same grass they have. Here in Fla,
the grasses are invasive- they spread by running and some by seeding
too, as mentioned. Roots are shallow compared to northern roots.

Homeowner associations are common here and most have a grass variety
requirement.

St Augustene is my preference - for appearance year round. But it only
comes in sod. It has no seeds and if any show up, they are sterile.

Cut southern grasses at 4-6" [buy bigger wheel for your mower]

Believe me, no matter what, the in-ground sprinkler system is an
essential; tap water costs are high and there is much discussion about
limiting using it on lawns
[suggested fines would more than pay for the system in the long run].
The heads need adjusting periodically for coverage and should be
protected by concrete 'donuts'

While we have lots of inches of rain per year, there are long dry
spells

If you are on sand. it dries out quickly.

Your county extension service can give you info on when to fert, etc
etc. Its a very different plant world, but so beautiful