Old 22-09-2003, 08:15 PM
jin

Default how to use the Mantis Aerator Attachment

Hi,
I have just bought a 2-cycle Mantis Tiller with Aerator/Dethatcher
attachment.
It took me about 30 minutes to figure how to dethatch the lawn. At
first it
appears that I am smashing the lawn. But with a little practice, it
seems to
work more or less.

Then I tried the Aerator. That seems like a nightmare. Instead of
cutting
slits on the lawn, it just pulls out all the grass. I have no clue
how it's
supposed to work.

I spoke to a Little Wonder support person, she said that there is one
type of
grass (most typically in the souther part of the country) whose roots
grows horizontally (instead of vertically) and the Aerator/Dethatcher
will simply not
work with lawns of this type.

But since my dethatcher works more or less, it's doubly highly
unlikely that
my lawn is of this type.

Anyone have any advice on that ???

Thanks,

Jin
Old 26-09-2003, 02:43 AM
Chet Hayes

(jin) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Are you letting the aerator move freely across the lawn? If you're
trying to hold it back and let it stay in one spot, that would
certainly chew up the grass under it. An aerator is supposed to just
move steadily along, allowing the the tines to pierce the soil.

A real core aerator has hollow tines that takes about 3/4 inch plugs
of soil out, letting air and water in and de-compacting the soil.
The unit you have has knives instead of hollow tines, so it's less
effective, but still tries to do the same thing.

Old 26-09-2003, 02:45 AM

(Chet Hayes) wrote:
(jin) wrote in message
[...]

This might be a clue to his aeration problems..

I have just bought a 2-cycle Mantis Tiller with Aerator/Dethatcher
attachment.

Reckon?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month

Old 26-09-2003, 03:22 PM
jin

(Chet Hayes) wrote in message . com...
(jin) wrote in message . com...
[...]

unfortunately the Mantis dethatcher and aerator are all supposed to
move
backwards, according to the manual. letting the aerator move forwards
will simply see the machine councing like a frog.

Old 26-09-2003, 10:06 PM
jin

(jin) wrote in message . com...
[...]

sorry for the typo, meant "bouncing like a frog"

A real core aerator has hollow tines that takes about 3/4 inch plugs
of soil out, letting air and water in and de-compacting the soil.
The unit you have has knives instead of hollow tines, so it's less
effective, but still tries to do the same thing.

How to use a Handy aerator? Timothy Murphy United Kingdom 4 14-09-2012 02:37 PM
Coring v Spike lawn aerators + How effective is Mantis an aerator? Newbie Gardening 9 01-10-2010 05:38 PM
Mantis Aerator? Mack Lawns 1 08-03-2006 02:23 AM
aerator attachment for Mantis tiller? Larry Dawson Gardening 1 27-11-2003 05:12 PM
Cement to use/not to use around pond? IanQ Ponds 2 06-03-2003 09:52 AM