GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Store Sweet Potatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/44473-store-sweet-potatoes.html)

Karl Townsend 01-10-2003 03:12 PM

Store Sweet Potatoes

We tried Sweet Potatoes for the first time this year. Had an unbelievable
yeild of huge tubers.

So, how can we store them? We'll take some and bake and then freeze. That
won't get the whole crop - the freezer's not that big. I need to be able to
store fresh tubers.

Karl

[email protected] 04-10-2003 05:02 PM

Store Sweet Potatoes

In article . net,=20
says...
We tried Sweet Potatoes for the first time this year. Had an unbelievable
yeild of huge tubers.
=20
So, how can we store them? We'll take some and bake and then freeze. That
won't get the whole crop - the freezer's not that big. I need to be able =

store fresh tubers.
=20
Karl

I found a bit of info from a quick google search.
http://www.ahs.cqu.edu.au/info/scien...weetPotato.htm

Here's some of it:

Curing: Tubers should be cured at 27-34=B0C, 85-95% relative humidity and=
=20
restricted ventilation for 5-20 days before put into longer term=20
storage. This enables new skin to be formed over harvesting injuries and=20
the whole tuber to mature. Curing is complete when the skin cannot be=20
rubbed off and small buds appear . Optimal curing conditions vary with=20
cultivar. If decaying still prevails, iprodione (a fungicide) can be=20
applied in conjunction with curing, preferably via super fine mist.