Old 11-10-2003, 12:32 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Preventing Urine burn? Is it possible somehow?

So I've moved to my new home and my land lady was gracious enough to put
down a sod lawn in the front yard which is really small, maybe 20'x20'. But
I have two dogs and they have no where else to relieve themselves but on the
lawn. It's only been like 6 days since they layed the sod and already I can
see a couple patches of burn marks.

I went to the pet store, and they said the only thing is pills, but at
$16.00/200 pills and having to give the bigger dog 4 pills a day and the
smaller dog 3 pills a day, it's cost prohibitive.

I've tried going behind them when their down and soaking the area that they
urinate on, but that hasnt seemed to help any yet, Im wondering if it's
because it's fresh sod, or if soaking the spots with water doesnt do any
good.

Any home remedies that can be given to the dogs to help with this?

Thanks,

---

Old 11-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Steveo

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:
So I've moved to my new home and my land lady was gracious enough to put
down a sod lawn in the front yard which is really small, maybe 20'x20'.
But I have two dogs and they have no where else to relieve themselves but
on the lawn. It's only been like 6 days since they layed the sod and
already I can see a couple patches of burn marks.

-snip-

Are they female dogs?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month

Old 11-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Peter H

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message
[...]

Flushing the lawn, as you are doing, is the only sol'n. I don't think the
pills will do the job.

Peter H

Old 11-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Steveo

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:
The dalmatian is a spayed female, and the lhasa apso is a neutered male.

I'm gonna guess that the female does most of the damage.

Plant gravel.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:12 PM
lois

I use a VERY light dusting of ordinary Tide [no bleach, etc - not easy
to find.

It wouldnt hurt to lightly dust the entire lawn - no more than 2 level
Tablespoons over the 20 x 20 foot area. A light breeze will help
distribute it.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:32 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Yup, it seems she does. I keep trying to douse the area as best as I can
remember where exactly it is, but doesnt seem to help. Maybe I'll just have
to keep laying down a new patch of sod every couple months to replace the
severely burned areas.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Steveo

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:
Yup, it seems she does. I keep trying to douse the area as best as I can
remember where exactly it is, but doesnt seem to help. Maybe I'll just
have to keep laying down a new patch of sod every couple months to
replace the severely burned areas.

For what it's worth..sometimes lime helps reduce the damage. You'll
need to put it down on a schedule, 50 lbs/1000 sq ft, at least
three times per growing season. (more where she frequents)

ymmv.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month
Old 12-10-2003, 09:12 PM
lois

This is a remedy from classes taught by an Extension Agent many years
ago.

Do Not overdose - you'll have no lawn

I've used it in NY, OH, Tenn and Fla- different grasses and soils

Because Im now in pure 'beach sand' application is a nuisance- water
goes straight down in sand; it doesnt spread even a hair! So I have a
spray bottle [distilled H2O; tap water rots] and mist spots very
lightly.

Nor does sand hold anything - it washes thru. so here in Fla I dont
treat the entire yard. Thankfully most spots are about 6" round.

I have a fox, some huge racoons and another weird critter that piddle
regularly on their treck across the yard, As soon as a hint of burn
shows, the spots get misted and watered in. Bushes get misted for
males.

No, no bubbles - such tiny amount is used
Detergent mfgrs change ingredients - if I suspect a change, I test.

t'would be foolish to use a remedy over 40 years if it didnt work

When the EPA came along, detergents were one of the few items that
remained on the OK-to use list

Old 19-10-2003, 06:42 PM

Dogs are territorial, they would probably piddle in the property corners or
the edge of the lawn if there were other dogs around. To help them, this may
require some training and/or supervision.

What you should do is take them out on a leash when they are really ready to
go, then walk them to the corner of the yard. Put some sand or soil down, or
if the corner has a sign post or a fire hydrant then let them go there. They
should get the idea.

Old 20-10-2003, 01:32 AM
GFRfan

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:32:50 GMT, wrote:

Dogs are territorial, they would probably piddle in the property corners or
the edge of the lawn if there were other dogs around. To help them, this may
require some training and/or supervision.

What you should do is take them out on a leash when they are really ready to
go, then walk them to the corner of the yard. Put some sand or soil down, or
if the corner has a sign post or a fire hydrant then let them go there. They
should get the idea.

Very good advice. We did that with both our dogs. Spent about a week
of leading them back there. The one dog is 10 years old and he won't
go in anyother spot, now. Got a 10X10 area that they go to. Makes
cleanup easy too.
Old 20-10-2003, 02:12 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Thanks everyone for your advise.

Ive decided to give the pills a try for the moment, since it's about $150.00
a year for both dogs, Im going to try it for a month or two and see if they
work, if not I'll send in for a full refund.