Old 11-10-2003, 11:02 PM
The Filers

Default Finding a wasp's nest

In the last 4 days the daytime temperature has shot up into the upper 70's.
3 days ago we started finding wasps buzzing against our south facing kitchen
window....the first day there were 4, then yesterday 6 more and today
another 6...we've never had problems with wasps, even in the summer when it
hits the 90's...we have looked everywhere in the kitchen and all along the
exterior side of the wall but we can't find a nest...friends suggested that
wasps can get into the wall through tiny holes, but we have spent a half
hour this afternoon just looking for any signs of wasps entering or exiting
and we haven't found anthing.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to find the source of the wasps?

We've noticed a few things...the wasps are all full size, they seem
"doped-up" and un-aggressive (thankfully!!!)...it's like they are half dead
by the time we notice them....also they appear midway through the afternoon,
although I caught one late last night...I'd like to find the source so we
could know the scope of the problem, then figure out what to do. Advice
from anyone whose been down this road already would be appreciated!

Michael.

Old 12-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Doug G

The Filers wrote:

[...]

Years ago I had a hornet nest between the joists in my crawl space.
They got in the house around the gas supply pipe and got up to my
kitchen by way of a floor crack beneath a heating register. An
exterminator sprayed the nest with something, then we ran like hell.

Old 12-10-2003, 07:02 AM
Steveo

"The Filers" wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions on how to find the source of the wasps?

Yes. Watch where they go in and out.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/Month
Old 13-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Bugs 4 Jazz

"The Filers" wrote in message
[...]

Wait till freeze-up before you try to do anything about the nest. If you
can locate the place where the beasties get in and out, seal it up as best
you can.
The wasps apparently will not reuse a nest, instead they make a new one each
year. Don't knoe where they go during the winter months.
You are lucky they aren't aggressive; this time of year, when their usual
food sources die off (aphids and other small insects) they are attracted to
meat, both on the BBQ and your own flesh, and anything sweet. Use a 2 L pop
bottle with some cola or such in the bottom. They go in, get their wings
wet, and can't get out. Commercial traps do almost the same thing, but cost
more

Barrie in Calgary

Old 24-10-2003, 06:42 AM
JDB

To find a wasp's nest, take off your clothes, walk around the perimeter of
the house and bang on the frame and siding with a bat, repeatedly.

When the wasps emerge, if you survive the stinging, you may be able to
remember the exact source from where they streamed out in formation.

Mark that spot with red spray paint and ask your wife to remove them.

Old 24-10-2003, 07:02 AM
Steveo

"JDB" wrote:
To find a wasp's nest, take off your clothes, walk around the perimeter
of the house and bang on the frame and siding with a bat, repeatedly.

When the wasps emerge, if you survive the stinging, you may be able to
remember the exact source from where they streamed out in formation.

Mark that spot with red spray paint and ask your wife to remove them.

ROFL! You might mark the spot with your fecal matter too.(just in case)