Old 25-10-2003, 05:32 PM
The Commish

Default end of season lawn question

Hello. I live in Ottawa Canada, my grass being a fescue/bluegrass/rye mix.
Around labour day, I fertilized using a fall lawn care product with weed
control, as I was still having some weed problems (this seemed to work, by
the way). I aerated around the 21st of September, and the lawn actually has
looked best in the last month or so. I had intended to put down one more
application of fertilizer (wintercare) in late October (perhaps next
weekend) without weed control to prepare the lawn for the winter and next
spring. Since its getting down to the wire now, and the grass probably only
needs one more
cutting, my question is this: Is using the wintercare still a good idea at
this point? (Temperatures here are unusually low for this time of year, we
are already hovering just above 0c) Also, when I do cut the grass that one
last time, how short should I cut it, and should I bag it or mulch?

Thanks SO much...

Jimmy

Old 25-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Die Spammer !!!

you know that if you cut too much at once you shock that grass plants which
damages that plants and promotes disease, right? And you now if you put too
much fertilizer down, you will burn the plants, right?

Just let it be and and do your normal mowing . Normal mowing means mow when the
grass gets tall enough to mow but not too much as to cut more then 1/3 of the
blades...

Old 25-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Steveo

"The Commish" wrote:
[...]

I'd go ahead with your winter care food now. This will ensure your
turf has readily available nutrient in the spring, as well as promoting
good root depth. It also allows you to use less nitrogen in the spring,
so you'll have less surge growth, and disease potential then.

As far as cutting, try to get it as short as possible before the
snow covers it up. This will help prevent snow mold next spring
by preventing long blades from laying over and compacting under
the snow. I start lowering the blade now (still cutting in Ohio),
and end up with it at about an inch on my final cutting.
Old 26-10-2003, 01:02 AM
The Commish

Thanks Steveo! I thought that cutting it shorter would help in the spring,
but I wasn't sure. And it was someone in this newsgroup that suggested some
time ago that I fertilize once in very early fall, and then again in very
late fall...

was 'diespammer' suggesting that I never use fertilizer?

Old 26-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Steveo

"The Commish" wrote:
Thanks Steveo! I thought that cutting it shorter would help in the
spring, but I wasn't sure. And it was someone in this newsgroup that
suggested some time ago that I fertilize once in very early fall, and
then again in very late fall...

was 'diespammer' suggesting that I never use fertilizer?

He's not even sure what he is suggesting.
Good luck.

Old 26-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Die Spammer !!!

I was just suggesting that you not risk burning the lawn.

and I wouldnt' listen to stevoboy since he can't seem to keep any lawn green...
LMAO

Just killfile the moron, and and help the newsgroup rid of his mindless chatter.
Someone should have pour bleech in his gene pool long time ago.

Old 26-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Peter H

"The Commish" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
[...]

Stevo is right and diespammer hasn't a clue Jimmy. After 12 years in the
business and a few turf management courses behind me I know what I'm talking
about.

There is one caution I'd throw your way though. This late fall fertilization
is not without some risks. The U of Guelph recommends it, but I have seen
problems on occasion. When the conditions are right that late fert can
stimulate the grass to grow during the winter, underneath the snow, which
can lead to disease of the turf. I cut the ferts off at the end of September
and then I don't have to worry about it. One thing is certain though, if you
do get the late fert down and don't have a problem w/ it you'll have the
first green lawn on the street in the springtime.

Peter H

Old 28-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Bob

"The Commish" wrote in message
Also, when I do cut the grass that one
last time, how short should I cut it, and should I bag it or

mulch?

A "lawn care expert" that I talked to when I had problems with
sod I had bought said to cut short in the winter to reduce
disease problems, and long in the summer to shade the soil. Of
course, I am in Seattle - a considerably different climate.

Bob

Old 29-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Chet Hayes

"Bob" wrote in message news:3Pvnb.37116$275.73884@attbi_s53...
"The Commish" wrote in message
Also, when I do cut the grass that one
last time, how short should I cut it, and should I bag it or

mulch?

A "lawn care expert" that I talked to when I had problems with
sod I had bought said to cut short in the winter to reduce
disease problems, and long in the summer to shade the soil. Of
course, I am in Seattle - a considerably different climate.

Bob

I apply my second fall fertilizer about this time every year here in
NJ. I keep mowing into Dec and my lawn is a deep green most of the
winter, only going a little off color in late Jan or Feb. In the
spring it greens up awesome.

One of my neighbors lawn already looks like crap. It's Zoysia, but
that's another story.