Old 01-01-2004, 04:05 PM
been

Default Need help identifying a possible lawn pest - Florida

My backyard thinned the summer before last. This year it has been on the
road to recovery though it has been slow going. One section is particularly
is sparse with lots of little pockets of open earth. An interesting thing
occurred sometime between the evening of Dec. 31st and this morning Jan.
1st. Dozens and dozens of small sand burrows appeared. They came straight up
with a small hole in the middle. They're about 2 to 4 inches in height and
about 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter. I've searched the web as best I know but
seem to only come up with Cicadas Killer Wasp. This is definitely not those
as I've seen those in the yard and their mounds are much bigger and besides
it isn't the right time of year. I live in Florida, btw. So if you have an
idea what this is please let me know. I'd like to be able to identify it as
pest or not and in either case I'm interested in learning more about this
critter.

Old 01-01-2004, 10:32 PM
been

Well, I semi-identified what come up from the ground in mass. They look like
little bee's kind of grayish flying all around the yard. Still don't know
what they are though.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:16 AM
dave

I'm in Sarasota. At first you were describing rhinoserous beetle
mounds. But the flying things........ I don't know.