GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/55015-briggs-stratton-16-hp-ohv-engine.html)

Not Me 10-03-2004 05:14 AM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S engine. Seems the
engine was run without oil and is shot/seized.

I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine. Also would
like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of time but little
money so ...

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling the entire
tractor.

Steveo 10-03-2004 05:14 AM

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/

Not Me 11-03-2004 04:20 AM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Steveo"

| I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S engine. Seems
| the engine was run without oil and is shot/seized.
|
| I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine. Also
would
| like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of time but
| little money so ...
|
| Any help would be appreciated.
|
| BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling the entire
| tractor.
|
| http://www.briggsandstratton.com/

Thanks,

Went there early on, sent emails even made phone calls. All responses
directed me to their 'dealer' net work. No one I spoke with had any
interest other than trying to sell me a new engine. Interesting point I can
purchase a brand new lawn tractor for less than they want for just the
engine.

Not Me 11-03-2004 04:29 AM

Steve Newman 11-03-2004 09:03 AM

"Not Me" wrote in message
I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S engine. Seems

the
engine was run without oil and is shot/seized.

I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine. Also would
like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of time but little
money so ...

BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling the entire
tractor.

What about a short-block? Did you price one? Did you check on a new engine
from Northern Tool
http://www.northerntool.com/engines/?CMID=osclrp3116ln

What is the model # ? I have a new 14HP V-twin Briggs & Stratton VanGuard
engine
sitting in a box in my garage, Model 294447 Type 1201-A1 4665, electric
start, 1" horiz. shaft.
I bought it on Ebay on impulse at a good price and have no real use for it
(Oh well!). I always
thought it would make a good go-kart engine (kinda big & heavy tho).

Steveo 12-03-2004 07:01 AM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Not Me" wrote:
"Steveo"

| I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S engine.
| Seems the engine was run without oil and is shot/seized.
|
| I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine. Also
would
| like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of time but
| little money so ...
|
| Any help would be appreciated.
|
| BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling the
| entire tractor.
|
| http://www.briggsandstratton.com/

Thanks,

Went there early on, sent emails even made phone calls. All responses
directed me to their 'dealer' net work. No one I spoke with had any
interest other than trying to sell me a new engine. Interesting point I
can purchase a brand new lawn tractor for less than they want for just
the engine.

Did you get to this part of that website?

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=63833

Steveo 12-03-2004 07:09 AM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Steveo"

Not Me 12-03-2004 02:55 PM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Steveo"

| | I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S engine.
| | Seems the engine was run without oil and is shot/seized.
| |
| | I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine. Also
| would
| | like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of time but
| | little money so ...
| |
| | Any help would be appreciated.
| |
| | BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling the
| | entire tractor.
| |
| | http://www.briggsandstratton.com/
|
| Thanks,
|
| Went there early on, sent emails even made phone calls. All responses
| directed me to their 'dealer' net work. No one I spoke with had any
| interest other than trying to sell me a new engine. Interesting point I
| can purchase a brand new lawn tractor for less than they want for just
| the engine.
|
| Did you get to this part of that website?
|
| http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=63833

I located any number of dealers from both B&S web site and other sources.
So far all want to sell me a new engine ( I can buy a new engine for most
cars for less). Still a few were honest enough to point out I could buy a
new tractor for less.

Steveo 12-03-2004 02:59 PM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Not Me" wrote:
"Steveo"

| | I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S engine.
| | Seems the engine was run without oil and is shot/seized.
| |
| | I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine.
| | Also
| would
| | like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of time
| | but little money so ...
| |
| | Any help would be appreciated.
| |
| | BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling the
| | entire tractor.
| |
| | http://www.briggsandstratton.com/
|
| Thanks,
|
| Went there early on, sent emails even made phone calls. All
| with had any interest other than trying to sell me a new engine.
| Interesting point I can purchase a brand new lawn tractor for less
| than they want for just the engine.
|
| Did you get to this part of that website?
|
| http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=63833

I located any number of dealers from both B&S web site and other sources.
So far all want to sell me a new engine ( I can buy a new engine for most
cars for less). Still a few were honest enough to point out I could buy
a new tractor for less.

Hrm..you can buy a new tractor for less than this?

http://www.continentalengines.com/ce...e.asp?ID=31057

Not Me 13-03-2004 12:35 AM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Steveo"

| | | I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S engine.
| | | Seems the engine was run without oil and is shot/seized.
| | |
| | | I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine.
| | | Also
| | would like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of
time
| | | but little money so ...
| | |
| | | Any help would be appreciated.
| | |
| | | BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling the
| | | entire tractor.
| | |
| | | http://www.briggsandstratton.com/
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Went there early on, sent emails even made phone calls. All
| | with had any interest other than trying to sell me a new engine.
| | Interesting point I can purchase a brand new lawn tractor for less
| | than they want for just the engine.
| |
| | Did you get to this part of that website?
| |
| | http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=63833
|
| I located any number of dealers from both B&S web site and other
sources.
| So far all want to sell me a new engine ( I can buy a new engine for
most
| cars for less). Still a few were honest enough to point out I could
buy
| a new tractor for less.
|
| Hrm..you can buy a new tractor for less than this?
|
| http://www.continentalengines.com/ce...e.asp?ID=31057

Thanks for the response and the effort to help me with this.

Actually yes I can buy a car engine for less. While this is much better
than anything I've found so far it is still more than I think is either fair
or justified. (I've found new lawn tractors for not much more)

Not Me 13-03-2004 12:35 AM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Steveo"

| | | I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S engine.
| | | Seems the engine was run without oil and is shot/seized.
| | |
| | | I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine.
| | | Also
| | would like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of
time
| | | but little money so ...
| | |
| | | Any help would be appreciated.
| | |
| | | BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling the
| | | entire tractor.
| | |
| | | http://www.briggsandstratton.com/
| |
| | Thanks,
| |

Not Me 13-03-2004 01:05 AM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Steveo"

| | | I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S engine.
| | | Seems the engine was run without oil and is shot/seized.
| | |
| | | I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine.
| | | Also
| | would like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of
time
| | | but little money so ...
| | |
| | | Any help would be appreciated.
| | |
| | | BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling the
| | | entire tractor.
| | |
| | | http://www.briggsandstratton.com/
| |
| | Thanks,
| |

Steveo 13-03-2004 01:30 AM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Not Me" wrote:
"Steveo"

| | | I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S
| | | engine. Seems the engine was run without oil and is
| | | shot/seized.
| | |
| | | I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine.
| | | Also
| | would like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of
time
| | | but little money so ...
| | |
| | | Any help would be appreciated.
| | |
| | | BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling
| | | the entire tractor.
| | |
| | | http://www.briggsandstratton.com/
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Went there early on, sent emails even made phone calls. All
| | with had any interest other than trying to sell me a new engine.
| | Interesting point I can purchase a brand new lawn tractor for
| | less than they want for just the engine.
| |
| | Did you get to this part of that website?
| |
| | http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...sp?DocID=63833
|
| I located any number of dealers from both B&S web site and other
sources.
| So far all want to sell me a new engine ( I can buy a new engine for
most
| cars for less). Still a few were honest enough to point out I could
buy
| a new tractor for less.
|
| Hrm..you can buy a new tractor for less than this?
|
| http://www.continentalengines.com/ce...e.asp?ID=31057

Thanks for the response and the effort to help me with this.

No problem. :)

Actually yes I can buy a car engine for less.

Those are more common, and you ain't buying a -new- car engine for that
cheap.

While this is much better
than anything I've found so far it is still more than I think is either
fair or justified. (I've found new lawn tractors for not much more)

Where can you buy a completely new lawn tractor for $600?

Steveo 13-03-2004 01:53 AM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Not Me" wrote:
"Steveo"

| | | I've inherited a Sears lawn tractor with a 16 HP OHV B&S
| | | engine. Seems the engine was run without oil and is
| | | shot/seized.
| | |
| | | I need a source of a new/rebuilt/use engine for this machine.
| | | Also
| | would like info on rebuilt kits for this engine. I have lots of
time
| | | but little money so ...
| | |
| | | Any help would be appreciated.
| | |
| | | BTW Sears wants more for a new engine then they are selling
| | | the entire tractor.
| | |
| | | http://www.briggsandstratton.com/
| |
| | Thanks,
| |

Jerry 24-03-2004 08:04 PM

Briggs and Stratton 16 HP OHV engine

"Steve Newman" wrote in

"Not Me" wrote in message
[...]

Are you absolutely sure your engine is seized due to running with no
oil?
The oil could have been drained and the motor merely needs a little TLC
to revive it.

Remove all the spark plugs and spray some WD-40 or similar penetrant
into cylinder thru spark plug holes. Let it sit a few minutes and try
to turn it over. The piston rings could merely be rusted to the
cylinder walls due to non-use. This is a common problem for engines
that have sit a while.

Anyway, if you get it to turn over this way (it won't start without
spark plugs), fill the resevoir with oil, put the spark plugs back in,
and then try to start it.

Good Luck!