Old 12-03-2004, 07:47 PM
TN

Default Tree Help!

Hi Folks -

I live on Long Island.

Last fall, we lost our beloved american dogwood, which was the centerpiece
of the backyard. It was 80 years old, big round and craggy, a real gem, but
it has been dying a slow death from various ailments common to the species,
and it finally fell in a wind storm in December.

Anyway, there's a void out there in the backyard that my wife and I can't
stand anymore. We'd like another nice round show-piece type of tree in that
spot, perhaps a Kousa Dogwood or a Japanese Red, but the nursery size
versions of these trees are tiny... and will take forever to grow to the
size we like.

So at this point we're considering having a tree company locate us a mature
tree locally and transplant it here with a budget of about $2500. Besides a
Kousa or a Jap Red, are there any other recommendations out there?

Thanks for any advice.

Tom

Old 18-03-2004, 06:58 PM
RoyDMercer

"TN" wrote in message
[...]

Tom,

I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but you probably will
want to do a lot of research before you go the route you are considering.
The bigger the tree is at transplant, the less chance it has at survival.
Sometimes it takes trees 2-3 years to die after transplant, which would be
well past the warranty of most tree services. Many times transplanted trees
die because their new soil is not compatible (too high or low PH, or the
wrong levels of certain elements, drainage, etc). There's about a million
things that can go wrong when you transplant a tree and only a handfull of
things that can go right. There could be a good chance your $2500
investment goes down the tubes in a few years.

I had a house built 3 years ago on a lot with no trees. The builder planted
two 3" caliper trees and one 4" caliper tree which came with the house. The
4" caliper tree is a nice oak. When they planted it, it was about 12' tall
and about 8' wide. Three years later it is about 12' tall and about 8'
wide. Although it's healthy, I can't tell it's grown any over the last 3
years. The 3" caliper trees have not done much better.

Shortly after I moved in I went down to the home center and bought 15 or so
5 gallon trees which had trunks not much bigger than your thumb. Today most
of them are about 15' tall and about 12' wide with a 5" trunk. I also
planted a green Jap maple 3 years ago. When I bought it the thing was not
much more than a twig. Today it's about 10' high by 10' wide with about a
2-3" trunk. I would probably never buy a large tree. All of my trees have
survived, and even if they hadn't, I only have about $20 each invested in
them.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but 3 years from now if you buy a
large tree you might be starting over verses going with a small tree and
having it at a decent size by then.

My Jap maple is a green one of the laceleaf variety. It is very healthy and
very attractive. Although I don't have one, Sango-Kaku is one variety that
is very nice. It is also known as "Coral Bark". These are nice because
they are pleasing to look at in the winter when they lose their leaves
because the branches are an attractive red color.

Old 25-03-2004, 01:28 AM
TN

Thanks Roy

I'll have to be very careful indeed. If we do go down the expensive road...
at least it will be with our eyes open

Tom

Old 25-03-2004, 01:54 AM
TN

Thanks Roy

I'll have to be very careful indeed. If we do go down the expensive road...
at least it will be with our eyes open

Tom

Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
Tallow Tree was Peach Tree & Crepe Murtle Questions God Bless Texas Texas 5 24-06-2003 06:32 PM
Tree Expert - Can you identify this tree M Thomas Lawns 4 10-06-2003 03:09 AM
Free tree from Austin EnergyCity tree trimming gary Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM