Old 14-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Scott

Default Something damaging my red twig dogwoods

Something keeps cutting my dogwoods. Check out this pictu

http://home.wi.rr.com/rusks/dogwood.JPG

It doesn't look they are being chewed off because the cuts are very
clean. The trimmed pieces are just left on the ground below. The
shrubs are only 3 feet tall max. I live in zone 5.

What could possibly be happening here?
Old 15-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Timothy

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:30:29 -0800, Scott wrote:

Something keeps cutting my dogwoods. Check out this pictu

http://home.wi.rr.com/rusks/dogwood.JPG

It doesn't look they are being chewed off because the cuts are very clean.
The trimmed pieces are just left on the ground below. The shrubs are only
3 feet tall max. I live in zone 5.

What could possibly be happening here?

I don't believe that it's "something", but more likely "someone". The cuts
are way to clean to be any type of chewing or bite. Also the angle of the
cuts are something that you tend to see when someone prunes roses. I'd
suggest that you take another look at the cut ends of the branches. If
they were cut, the cut ends will be smooth and clean. If they were cut by
an animal of some sort, I would figure you would see some sort of teeth
marks. I guess the real questions are who did this and why...?
Better luck to you.
Old 15-03-2004, 07:02 AM
GFRfan

Scott wrote:
Something keeps cutting my dogwoods. Check out this pictu

http://home.wi.rr.com/rusks/dogwood.JPG

It doesn't look they are being chewed off because the cuts are very
clean. The trimmed pieces are just left on the ground below. The
shrubs are only 3 feet tall max. I live in zone 5.

What could possibly be happening here?

Someone is giving it a bad haircut? Looks like lopper cuts to me.

Old 15-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Baroness Benachi

My mom had the same problem with one of her bushes. Turned out to be my
grandfather with his knife.

om...

Old 15-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Scott said:

Something keeps cutting my dogwoods. Check out this pictu

http://home.wi.rr.com/rusks/dogwood.JPG

It doesn't look they are being chewed off because the cuts are very
clean. The trimmed pieces are just left on the ground below. The
shrubs are only 3 feet tall max. I live in zone 5.

What could possibly be happening here?

Rabbits. They are cutting through the branches at the bottom in order to get
to the buds and softer wood/bark at the top.

I've had rabbits do this to shrub roses, raspberries, and aronia bushes.
They have very sharp incisors and make very clean cuts.

They often resort to this sort of feeding when the snow becomes crusty. The
height where they cut through the branches is influenced by snow depth.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Scott

(Scott) wrote in message . com...
Something keeps cutting my dogwoods. Check out this pictu

http://home.wi.rr.com/rusks/dogwood.JPG

It doesn't look they are being chewed off because the cuts are very
clean. The trimmed pieces are just left on the ground below. The
shrubs are only 3 feet tall max. I live in zone 5.

What could possibly be happening here?

Thanks for the feedback. If it is a someone and not a something, I'm
not sure why they'd cut them and just leave them. I thought maybe
they'd been cut for a floral arrangement of some sort. And not the
sort of thing that kids normally do. Luckily they are a hardy shrub!

I'll keep my eyes open!!