GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   MTD blade engage -- HELP needed! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/56029-mtd-blade-engage-help-needed.html)

D G 18-03-2004 09:30 PM

MTD blade engage -- HELP needed!

I own a 1996 MTD (Southern Statesman) and the blade engages only on
the second notch of the index....

In other words... when the blade engagement lever is in the FULL UP
position the blade is stopped/off, as it should be... but, I have to
place the lever down to the SECOND notch on the index to get the blades
to turn/engage.

Is there a switch somewhere on this tractor that I do see???.... any
input will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Steve Stone 19-03-2004 01:19 AM

MTD blade engage -- HELP needed!

In article , says...
I own a 1996 MTD (Southern Statesman) and the blade engages only on
the second notch of the index....

I don't know your machine but I am familiar with a few other MTD's.

Most non electric clutch units depend on engaging the blades by taking up slack on the deck
drive belt(s). If the blades don't turn when you expect them to then the belt is too big or
some of the bolts used to position the belt may be bent or missing.

I could be wrong on this.

Steve