Old 19-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Texas Yankee

Default Replace grass\weeds with ground cover via RoundUp?

I have a small yard (zero lot line home) with grass and weeds - I'm all
about low maintenance - I'd like to replace the grass\weeds with ground
cover, small shrubs, mulch, stepping stones, maybe a water feature of
sorts - I was going to roto till the yard (it's sticky black clay soil)
until one of my friends suggested just using RoundUp to kill everything,
then just rake up the dead grass, and after waiting at least 7 days, go
ahead and start planting my replacement greenery. Does this approach make
sense?

Old 19-03-2004, 11:43 PM
GFRfan

Texas Yankee wrote:

I have a small yard (zero lot line home) with grass and weeds - I'm all
about low maintenance - I'd like to replace the grass\weeds with ground
cover, small shrubs, mulch, stepping stones, maybe a water feature of
sorts - I was going to roto till the yard (it's sticky black clay soil)
until one of my friends suggested just using RoundUp to kill everything,
then just rake up the dead grass, and after waiting at least 7 days, go
ahead and start planting my replacement greenery. Does this approach make
sense?

Yes. The Roundup or similar product (There are cheaper brands now that
have the same active ingredient.) will become inactive in 7 to 10 days
and it'll be safe to plant.
Have fun. That's what it's all about.

--
Yard and garden Handyman
Old 20-03-2004, 02:59 AM
Steveo

GFRfan wrote:
Texas Yankee wrote:

I have a small yard (zero lot line home) with grass and weeds - I'm all
about low maintenance - I'd like to replace the grass\weeds with ground
cover, small shrubs, mulch, stepping stones, maybe a water feature of
sorts - I was going to roto till the yard (it's sticky black clay soil)
until one of my friends suggested just using RoundUp to kill
everything, then just rake up the dead grass, and after waiting at
least 7 days, go ahead and start planting my replacement greenery.
Does this approach make sense?

Yes. The Roundup or similar product (There are cheaper brands now that
have the same active ingredient.) will become inactive in 7 to 10 days
and it'll be safe to plant.
Have fun. That's what it's all about.

There you go. Just make sure the target plant is growing when you
use the roundup.