Old 20-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Samuel Warren

Default New House - New Grass

I bought a home in November 2003, grass was seeded and covered with a light
mulch, over a "construction grade topsoil". Now that spring is starting
here in Northern Virginia, the grass is growing well and has a good green
color do it. All the other yards in hood, have grass that is still brown.
I also bought a new lawn tractor with spreader attachment. I have never
done, any grass/yard work before. What should I put on the lawn, to keep it
going good, and at the same time keeping out some of the wire grass from the
yard next door?

--

This message was written on 100% recycled spam.

SAM

Old 21-03-2004, 06:34 PM

"Samuel Warren" wrote in message ...
I bought a home in November 2003, grass was seeded and covered with a light
mulch, over a "construction grade topsoil". Now that spring is starting
here in Northern Virginia, the grass is growing well and has a good green
color do it. All the other yards in hood, have grass that is still brown.
I also bought a new lawn tractor with spreader attachment. I have never
done, any grass/yard work before. What should I put on the lawn, to keep it
going good, and at the same time keeping out some of the wire grass from the
yard next door?

Your grass is greener most likely because it got an extra doze of
fertilizer mixed with that mulch it was covered with. I think they
recommend that you wait to mow new grass until it grows to 2 -3
inches, after that mow it frequently, but keep it relatively long to
make the plants stronger and bushier. You can buy a summer fertilizer
and use it all summer long; there are also spring and fall fertilizers
(each package has very good instructions). You can buy a fertilizer
that also kills mosquito algae or with additional weed controller. You
can also buy weed controllers separately. The thing about weed
controllers for the lawn is that they can only control wide-leaved
grasses (like dandelions), not other kinds of grasses and will kill
all wide-leafed plants including the violets your wife planted. Also
don't spread them anywhere near your flower beds because most
flowering plants have wide leaves.
You mentioned that you bought a lawn tractor, which implies that the
lawn is big, if it does not have a sprinkler system, you could
consider investing in one. Another option is to let it go dormant
(really yellow) for the summer, it'll come back in the fall. You
should make up your mind about that though, because when you keep
watering the lawn through the summer, but only do it occasionally, the
grass gets all patchy and does not look good. Consistent watering –
weather you water or not – is better for the grass, too. For a new
lawn, it may be best to water it through the first summer.
I found Home Depoe folks very helpful, but you have to find the person
who really knows about their area.
-b
Old 21-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Bill

You could get regular old lawn fertilizer and just follow the directions.

-or-

If you want to be scientific, find a farm supply, university agricultural
extension office http://www.ext.vt.edu/offices/ or agricultural lab which
does soil testing. This can be done for under $100.

The place which does soil testing will provide you with soil sample bags
usually, a form to fill out, and instructions. When I did it, I dug down to
a certain depth and took samples from three different areas of my yard.
Then I combined the soil in a bucket and mixed it all up. (Averages the
soil from three different spots.) Then I placed a sample of that into the
bag. Then wrote my name, etc. on bag, then filled out the form telling them
it was a lawn with rye grass growing there. Then checked off which tests I
wanted done on the sample.

Then they sent me back a soil analysis which no one could possibly
understand, but the person at the farm supply (who did understand it) told
me specifically which fertilizers to use, how much to use, and when to
apply it.

Soil testing takes the guess work out. You know exactly what is needed for
what you are growing. Repeat the testing every few years. (This is what
farmers do so they apply just what is needed.)

Old 23-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Chet Hayes

Apply a fertilizer and pre-emergent crabgrass control combo in spring.
The optimum time to apply would be when forsythias start blooming in
your area or a little before. For the summer, generally spot weed
control and insect control can be applied as needed. IMO, putting
fertilizer on in hot weather is the source of many lawn disease
problems, as excessive nitrogen helps promote many diseases.

I apply fertilizer again in early and then late fall, which are the
best times.